Things are going swimmingly for the Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool as the Common Council on Tuesday approved the group's request to operate a pool, bathhouse and concession at the park.
The vote of support was nearly unanimous. Alderman Dennis McBride had to refrain from voting because he sits on the Friends' board.
The group has raised $7.7 million in funds from private donors and Milwaukee County to build a community pool with features like eight lap lanes, a zero-depth entry and a water slide. A community campaign is expected to get under way soon to raise another $500,000 for amenities like diving boards and tot water play equipment.
Construction could begin this spring and the Friends are hoping for a Memorial Day 2011 opening.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Police: stealing vehicles to 'joy ride' is new trend among criminals
- Medical College of Wisconsin construction begins Aug. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 23, 2015 issue
- Therapy program's art gallery opening is this weekend
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015 issue
- Meet new Wauwatosa Now reporter Rachel Minske during live broadcast Friday
- TIF terms for State Street Station project in Wauwatosa wins city approval
- Skatepark in Wauwatosa wins bid approval after years of fundraising (3)
- The Landing at Hoyt Park has become destination for local musicians
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 12-18 (1)