Things are going swimmingly for the Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool as the Common Council on Tuesday approved the group's request to operate a pool, bathhouse and concession at the park.
The vote of support was nearly unanimous. Alderman Dennis McBride had to refrain from voting because he sits on the Friends' board.
The group has raised $7.7 million in funds from private donors and Milwaukee County to build a community pool with features like eight lap lanes, a zero-depth entry and a water slide. A community campaign is expected to get under way soon to raise another $500,000 for amenities like diving boards and tot water play equipment.
Construction could begin this spring and the Friends are hoping for a Memorial Day 2011 opening.
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: April 28