Things are going swimmingly for the Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool as the Common Council on Tuesday approved the group's request to operate a pool, bathhouse and concession at the park.
The vote of support was nearly unanimous. Alderman Dennis McBride had to refrain from voting because he sits on the Friends' board.
The group has raised $7.7 million in funds from private donors and Milwaukee County to build a community pool with features like eight lap lanes, a zero-depth entry and a water slide. A community campaign is expected to get under way soon to raise another $500,000 for amenities like diving boards and tot water play equipment.
Construction could begin this spring and the Friends are hoping for a Memorial Day 2011 opening.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Anthony Nash of Wauwatosa East wins EFW T-shirt design contest
- Tosa Skatepark seeks graphic designer for firefly image
- Wauwatosa high schoolers will each receive personal Chromebook next year, according to plan
- Menomonee River Parkway temporarily closed for excavation
- Carhartt coming to Wauwatosa's Mayfair Collection
- Wauwatosa News IQ: March 5
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015