The two Brookfield men suspected of attacking four Wauwatosa West High School cross country runners last fall have been charged with disorderly conduct.
Charges were filed last week in Waukesha County Circuit Court against David Jameson and Jonathan Bibb, both 18-year-old Brookfield residents. The two are accused of beating four Wauwatosa West students Oct. 21 while the athletes were on a routine practice run through Brookfield's Lamplighter Park.
The charges, brought by Assistant Waukesha District Attorney Kevin Osborne, are considered a class B misdemeanor and carry a maximum penalty of $1,000, 90 days in jail or both.
Charges against a third suspect, who is 16, were filed in Children's Court last week by Waukesha County District Attorney Ted Szczupakiewicz, but a request for information had not been processed as of NOW's press deadline.
According to the criminal complaint against Jameson and Bibb and Brookfield police reports:
The four Wauwatosa West students, ages 14, 15, 17 and 18, were on a routine practice run near the pavilion area of Lamplighter Park about 3:30 p.m. Oct. 21.
Jameson and Bibb were in a vehicle heading north on Burlawn Parkway. When they passed by the runners, Jameson gestured to the runners with both middle fingers. The runners also made gestures toward the suspects. All four of the Tosa students told police that one of the suspects yelled a racial slur at one of the runners, an African American.
Jameson and Bibb then picked up the third suspect, who was walking home from school, and drove by the runners again. This time, Bibb swerved the car toward the runners before pulling over. All three suspects exited the vehicle. Words and gestures were exchanged. Though witness statements conflict, most state that the 17-year-old Wauwatosa boy threw the first punch. A physical fight then ensued.
The suspects fled when they noticed a nearby resident making a phone call.
One of the Wauwatosa West students had to have stitches.
- Isral DeBruin
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 1