A Wauwatosa man accidentally shot himself in the leg Friday morning with a revolver he kept in his basement.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The 22-year-old man was constructing furniture in his basement in the 6400 block of Milwaukee Avenue at 3 a.m. and had been drinking alcohol. He took the .357-caliber revolver that had been sitting on the heat duct and cocked it. It is not known why. When he tried to return the weapon to the uncocked position, it discharged and he was shot about three inches above the knee.
He called his father to tell him about the accident, then he drove around for four hours because he was scared neighbors might have heard the shot and that he would get in trouble. The father went to his son's house and took the gun, then told him to go to the hospital.
Doctors said they did not believe the gun owner had meant to hurt himself and that he was likely embarrassed. He had minor wounds and was released from St. Joseph Hospital that day.
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23