Pulitzer Prize winning author Tracy Kidder will provide the keynote address for the Wauwatosa Public Library Leadership Luncheon on March 25 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
His descriptions of the challenges facing Haiti in his best-seller "Mountains Beyond Mountains" make Kidder's visit timely. The story focuses on a compassionate doctor who fights HIV and tuberculosis in the impoverished country.
In addition to Kidder's speech, Mary Ellen Stanek, Robert W. Baird's managing director and former Wauwatosa resident, will receive the 2010 Arthur B. Kohasky Leadership Award recipient.
She serves on the boards of a dozen organizations including Children's Hospital Foundation, Junior Achievement and United Way.
This annual event celebrates the important role the library plays in the community, while honoring area high school students and an adult whose leadership has had a positive impact on the community, according to a news release from the foundation.
Receiving the Student Leadership Awards are Lauren Brown, Wauwatosa East High School; Cami Kasmerchak, Divine Savior Holy Angels High School; Julia Kent, Wisconsin Lutheran High School; Adam Merkt, Marquette University High School; and Zach Soderberg, Wauwatosa West High School.
Proceeds will benefit the Wauwatosa Public Library Foundation, which has used past funds to purchase computers and furnishings for patron use remodeling the story room and creating a business center for investors and small business owners.
For tickets, call (414) 471-8487.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings
- State Street Station in Wauwatosa Village gets preliminary approval
- DOT considering Mayfair Road expansion, acquisitions through Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Village businesses collect food donations for Tosa Cares
- Wauwatosa meetings: Jan. 22
- Wauwatosa West's We The People team advances to the National Finals in Washington, D.C.
- On the Move: Jan. 22
- In Our Schools: Jan. 22
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?