Pulitzer Prize winning author Tracy Kidder will provide the keynote address for the Wauwatosa Public Library Leadership Luncheon on March 25 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
His descriptions of the challenges facing Haiti in his best-seller "Mountains Beyond Mountains" make Kidder's visit timely. The story focuses on a compassionate doctor who fights HIV and tuberculosis in the impoverished country.
In addition to Kidder's speech, Mary Ellen Stanek, Robert W. Baird's managing director and former Wauwatosa resident, will receive the 2010 Arthur B. Kohasky Leadership Award recipient.
She serves on the boards of a dozen organizations including Children's Hospital Foundation, Junior Achievement and United Way.
This annual event celebrates the important role the library plays in the community, while honoring area high school students and an adult whose leadership has had a positive impact on the community, according to a news release from the foundation.
Receiving the Student Leadership Awards are Lauren Brown, Wauwatosa East High School; Cami Kasmerchak, Divine Savior Holy Angels High School; Julia Kent, Wisconsin Lutheran High School; Adam Merkt, Marquette University High School; and Zach Soderberg, Wauwatosa West High School.
Proceeds will benefit the Wauwatosa Public Library Foundation, which has used past funds to purchase computers and furnishings for patron use remodeling the story room and creating a business center for investors and small business owners.
For tickets, call (414) 471-8487.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa School District creates new mobile app
- Tosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances
- News and Notes: July 24, 2014 issue