Pulitzer Prize winning author Tracy Kidder will provide the keynote address for the Wauwatosa Public Library Leadership Luncheon on March 25 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
His descriptions of the challenges facing Haiti in his best-seller "Mountains Beyond Mountains" make Kidder's visit timely. The story focuses on a compassionate doctor who fights HIV and tuberculosis in the impoverished country.
In addition to Kidder's speech, Mary Ellen Stanek, Robert W. Baird's managing director and former Wauwatosa resident, will receive the 2010 Arthur B. Kohasky Leadership Award recipient.
She serves on the boards of a dozen organizations including Children's Hospital Foundation, Junior Achievement and United Way.
This annual event celebrates the important role the library plays in the community, while honoring area high school students and an adult whose leadership has had a positive impact on the community, according to a news release from the foundation.
Receiving the Student Leadership Awards are Lauren Brown, Wauwatosa East High School; Cami Kasmerchak, Divine Savior Holy Angels High School; Julia Kent, Wisconsin Lutheran High School; Adam Merkt, Marquette University High School; and Zach Soderberg, Wauwatosa West High School.
Proceeds will benefit the Wauwatosa Public Library Foundation, which has used past funds to purchase computers and furnishings for patron use remodeling the story room and creating a business center for investors and small business owners.
For tickets, call (414) 471-8487.
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30
- In Brief: City seeks volunteers for focus group; seminar can help with advanced care planning