Brookfield - A public information meeting about planned improvements to Capitol Drive between Mayfair Road in Milwaukee County to Highway 74 in Waukesha County is scheduled at the Brookfield Public Safety Building from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation staff will present information in an open house format and will answer questions and record comments. No formal presentation is planned.
The state plans to resurface the road, replace bridges over the Fox River, rehabilitate bridges over Duplainville Road, re-deck the westbound bridge over the Menomonee River Parkway, upgrade traffic signals and make some operational improvements at signalized intersections and medians.
The construction is expected to cost $12.5 million. The stretch of Capitol Drive from Wauwatosa through Brookfield carries from 32,800 to 42,900 vehicles a day, according to DOT spokesman Dennis Shook. That's expected to increase to 51,900 cars a day in 20 years.
In the city of Brookfield, a sidewalk will be constructed along the road between 124th St. and Brookfield Road. In addition, Calhoun Road will be reconstructed for about 800 feet north and south of Capitol Drive.
Construction is scheduled to begin in April 2012. Except for the addition of the sidewalk, the road project will remain in its existing location. No homeowners or businesses will be relocated under the plan.
Persons unable to attend the meeting can get additional information from DOT project manager Christine K. Rawson at (262) 548-6428 or e-mail Christine.Rawson@dot.state.wi.us.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa offers 'Citizen's Academy' course
- Wauwatosa schools consider largest investment yet in facilities; discuss replacing buildings
- State Street Station in Wauwatosa Village gets preliminary approval
- DOT considering Mayfair Road expansion, acquisitions through Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Village businesses collect food donations for Tosa Cares
- Wauwatosa meetings: Jan. 22
- Wauwatosa West's We The People team advances to the National Finals in Washington, D.C.
- On the Move: Jan. 22
- In Our Schools: Jan. 22
- Ask Now: When will the work be done at Highway 100 and Capitol Drive?