A man duped the owner of a Wauwatosa jewelry store was duped into paying $10,000 for what turned out to be fake gold chains and coins.
According to Wauwatosa police:
A customer brought two 14-karat and two 24-karat gold chains and two gold coins in to sell at Gold Emporium, 7024 W. North Ave., at 11:15 a.m. Feb. 23. The owner thought it was unusual for someone to sell 24-karat gold because of its high value, so he weighed the items and examined them for authenticity. Satisfied that they were real, he negotiated a price of $10,000, if the seller was willing to get fingerprinted.
The seller became angry and took back the bag of items, saying he would take his business to downtown Milwaukee. Then he started telling his life story, claiming that he was a military veteran who needed to sell items so he would have money to put toward buying a house. Eventually, he agreed to the fingerprinting, but the store owner backed off the request.
The seller handed back the bag for the money. After he left, the owner realized he had been given an identical bag, but this one was filled with look-alike costume jewelry.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Brief: Three aquatic parks, including Hoyt Pool, to stay open through Monday
- 88-year-old passenger dies after three-car crash in Tosa
- Police say train accident was 'apparent suicide' by Oak Creek man
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Aug. 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking allowed on both sides of Menomonee River Parkway?
- New associate principals at Wauwatosa East High School come from Milwaukee, Waukesha
- Tajikistan visit expands outlook on food sources and heritage for Wauwatosa West students
- New school year for the Wauwatosa School District brings new standards, evaluations and projects
- Ronald McDonald House in Wauwatosa to double number of families it serves
- Germantown district pursues personalized learning options