Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid will receive the Distinguished Service Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6498 in Wauwatosa.
Reid will be presented the award Tuesday at Fire Station 3, 10525 W. Watertown Plank Road, and he will be one of the people considered for the national award.
He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Reserves in 1988. After training, Reid was assigned to the 34th Mobile Aerial Port Squadron with the 440th Airlift Wing at Gen. Mitchell International Airport. He worked his way up from airman basic to his current master sergeant rank.
Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
He has received many awards and honors including the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal. He is now assigned to the 76th Aerial Port Squadron with the 910th Airlift Wing in Youngstown, Ohio. He plans to retire from the service after 22 years on March 30.
Reid has worked for the Wauwatosa Fire Department since 2002.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director