Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid will receive the Distinguished Service Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6498 in Wauwatosa.
Reid will be presented the award Tuesday at Fire Station 3, 10525 W. Watertown Plank Road, and he will be one of the people considered for the national award.
He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Reserves in 1988. After training, Reid was assigned to the 34th Mobile Aerial Port Squadron with the 440th Airlift Wing at Gen. Mitchell International Airport. He worked his way up from airman basic to his current master sergeant rank.
Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
He has received many awards and honors including the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal. He is now assigned to the 76th Aerial Port Squadron with the 910th Airlift Wing in Youngstown, Ohio. He plans to retire from the service after 22 years on March 30.
Reid has worked for the Wauwatosa Fire Department since 2002.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Carhartt coming to Wauwatosa's Mayfair Collection
- Wauwatosa News IQ: March 5
- Chinese Lunar New Year celebration at Mayfair Sunday
- Police to warn against impaired driving on St. Patrick's Day
- Fundraiser covers funeral expenses for victim of Wauwatosa house fire
- News & Notes: March 5, 2015
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- In Our Schools: March 5
- Local developer sees opportunity for rebuild of Wauwatosa library, city hall
- Big talk on drugs has macro and micro perspectives at Wauwatosa East