Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid will receive the Distinguished Service Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6498 in Wauwatosa.
Reid will be presented the award Tuesday at Fire Station 3, 10525 W. Watertown Plank Road, and he will be one of the people considered for the national award.
He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Reserves in 1988. After training, Reid was assigned to the 34th Mobile Aerial Port Squadron with the 440th Airlift Wing at Gen. Mitchell International Airport. He worked his way up from airman basic to his current master sergeant rank.
Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
He has received many awards and honors including the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal. He is now assigned to the 76th Aerial Port Squadron with the 910th Airlift Wing in Youngstown, Ohio. He plans to retire from the service after 22 years on March 30.
Reid has worked for the Wauwatosa Fire Department since 2002.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?