First- and second-graders at Lincoln Elementary School started learning German on Tuesday as part of a new district pilot program to test out world language instruction for younger students.
Eva Tuinstra, who spent the first half of the school year researching and writing the pilot's curriculum, will teach the 25-minute class two to three times a week for each grade.
In addition, Tuinstra will teach one or more lessons remotely to students at Washington Elementary using distance learning technology. This experiment will give insight into how students receive instruction virtually, and will help evaluate whether the district can deliver the elementary world language curriculum to more schools while remaining cost-effective, said Beth Erenberger, director of student learning.
The pilot's price tag is small: Tuinstra uses 20 percent of her work time on the program and material costs were minimal.
If the pilot is successful and approved by both the district's Curriculum Council and School Board, it could be implemented districtwide as soon as next school year.
Tuinstra will give periodic reports to the School Board to update members on the pilot program's progress.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa hosts wedding expo for same-sex couples
- Wauwatosa's Underwood Elementary students donate candy to troops overseas
- Business Spotlight: Wauwatosa yoga and massage center aims to bring body and mind into focus
- In Wauwatosa, aging tailor joins forces with fashion-designing granddaughter
- WSTEM's outdoor classroom continues learning beyond classroom
- In Brief: Tosa Yoga hosts craft fair and Blood Center gains alliance
- Wauwatosa passes levy increase with four aldermen dissenting
- Wauwatosa man's dream 'Ability Center' could have $15 million annual impact, study finds
- Mystery Photo Contest: Nov. 20
- Duct tape fashion show raises money for Longfellow DI program in Wauwatosa