First- and second-graders at Lincoln Elementary School started learning German on Tuesday as part of a new district pilot program to test out world language instruction for younger students.
Eva Tuinstra, who spent the first half of the school year researching and writing the pilot's curriculum, will teach the 25-minute class two to three times a week for each grade.
In addition, Tuinstra will teach one or more lessons remotely to students at Washington Elementary using distance learning technology. This experiment will give insight into how students receive instruction virtually, and will help evaluate whether the district can deliver the elementary world language curriculum to more schools while remaining cost-effective, said Beth Erenberger, director of student learning.
The pilot's price tag is small: Tuinstra uses 20 percent of her work time on the program and material costs were minimal.
If the pilot is successful and approved by both the district's Curriculum Council and School Board, it could be implemented districtwide as soon as next school year.
Tuinstra will give periodic reports to the School Board to update members on the pilot program's progress.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (1)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27
- Suspected pipe bomb draws neighborhood attention in Wauwatosa