Two elderly Wauwatosa women were tricked by men who posed as utility company employees to gain entry to the victims' homes.
According to Wauwatosa police:
An 87-year-old woman was working in garage in the 6700 block of West Wisconsin Avenue, when she heard a knock on the door about 1 p.m. Jan. 19. She answered and a man said he needed to check on her electrical transformer. She left the garage door open and allowed him into her home.
The man flipped a light switch several times. Then he asked the homeowner to hold her finger on the switch and let him know if it jumped around. Meanwhile, he talked on his cell phone for 10 to 15 minutes, and Then he abruptly left her house.
When she returned to the garage, money was missing from her purse and her file drawers had been disturbed.
An hour later, police were called to a home in the 400 block of North 114th Street.
The homeowner said he had left to do errands, but his 88-year-old mother stayed at the house. He had turned off the television before he left and his mother did not know how to turn it on, so he became suspicious when he found it on when he returned.
His mother said a man from Time Warner Cable had come by to check the cable connection. She let him in and noticed a second man sitting in a plain white van across the street.
A call to the company resulted in no record of a service call to that house.
The homeowner did not believe anything was missing.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club
- Wauwatosa School Board asks lawmakers to increase public education funding
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Feb. 26
- Wauwatosa health officials say they are prepared to contain measles if it arrives
- Wauwatosa committee recommends denial of Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure request
- News & Notes: Feb. 26