A customer took batteries and beat up a clerk who tried to stop him at a Wauwatosa gas station about 3:20 p.m. Wednesday.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A customer at Midtown Shell, 641 N. Hawley Road, paid for a $5 package of batteries with a $50 bill. The clerk held the bill up toward the light to make sure they it wasn't counterfeit. The customer got irate and spit in the clerk's face, took the batteries and the money, and started to leave.
The clerk stepped out from behind the counter, and the customer grabbed the front of his shirt and punched him twice in the face. The men fought, knocking merchandise off the shelf. Finally, the customer bit the clerk's hand, pulled free and ran out the door.
The clerk's lip was split in the incident.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 10
- J. Crew Mercantile to open store at The Mayfair Collection (1)
- Art gallery featuring work of at-risk youth opens in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Aug. 3
- Wednesday house fire causes $100,000 in damage to Tosa home
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 30
- In Brief: July 30
- Streetscape project moves to Tosa's Common Council (2)
- Wauwatosa woman believed to be oldest in state
- A Wauwatosa artist's unique work will be on display at the Firefly Art Fair