Cudahy — A group representing the mayors and village presidents of Milwaukee County's 19 municipalities recommended Monday that each community hold trick-or-treat on the same day - usually a Sunday.
The resolution is aimed at keeping children safe and deterring groups of kids from collecting candy outside their own communities.
The recommendation is not binding on any city or village.
Under the resolution, trick-or-treat would be held from 1 to 4 p.m. the Sunday on or before Oct. 31. When Oct 31 falls on a Saturday, trick-or-treat would be held that day.
The resolution is for 10 years.
The issue was raised by Hales Corners Village President Robert Ruesch, who said a number of residents complained to him after last Halloween that vanloads of trick-or-treaters from outside Hales Corners were being dropped off in the village to trick or treat.
Franklin Mayor Tom Taylor said he's received the same type of complaints over the past several years and would like to return to a uniform date.
More than a decade ago, Milwaukee County's 19 cities and villages agreed to hold trick-or-treating on the same day to keep children safe, but the agreement lapsed, according to Hales Corners Village Manager Michael Weber.
More than 1,200 votes have been cast in a non-scientific JSOnline poll on the issue that was posted Sunday. The vast majority favored a uniform date for trick-or-treat.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern
- In Our Schools: March 26, 2015