Wauwatosa — The Common Council has refused to create a prohibition on beer sales in stores that also sell gasoline.
Currently, no gas or convenience stores in the city that sell gasoline also sell beer or other alcohol.
But creating such a prohibition would have formalized an "unwritten rule," said Ald. Linda Nikcevich, who made the proposal.
A council committee on Dec. 8 backed the proposal. But the full council on Tuesday voted 9-6, with Ald. Jerry Stepaniak absent, to reject it, Ald. Brian Ewerdt said Wednesday.
Ewerdt said he was among those voting no because he felt the prohibition was "well intentioned but goes too far."
See this story in Wednesday's Journal Sentinel for a list of all candidates running for municipal offices in Wauwatosa and throughout the Milwaukee area. The filing deadline for candidates to run in the April elections was Tuesday.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Authorities release name of 14-year-old drowning victim in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Biz Buzz: July 24, 2014
- Business Notes: July 24, 2014
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 24, 2014 issue
- Wauwatosa police link car thefts to those in Milwaukee County
- Hart Park Senior Center looks for new operator
- Former Wauwatosa priest appears in court after several missed appearances
- News and Notes: July 24, 2014 issue
- In brief: July 24, 2014
- Numbers peak for Wauwatosa summer school enrollment, programs