Two cashiers at Target in Wauwatosa have been arrested for theft by fraud for loading gift cards they did not pay for, and then using them to purchase merchandise.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 17-year-old boy piqued the security staff's attention when they started noticing numerous money shortages and large value purchases at his register. The unusual transactions started Dec. 10 and continued through Dec. 23, when he was arrested.
He was found to have put $1,900 on gift cards without paying for them. Of that, he spent $1,186. Items taken from the store, including digital media players, headphones and other electronic devices, were found in his pockets and locker.
Some of the items he bought with the gift cards were given to his coworker, a 24-year-old woman. When she asked him where he got the money for all the merchandise, he filled her in on his scam and she started serving as an accomplice.
Between Dec. 17 and 20, she loaded $1,026 on gift cards she did not pay for, and used them to obtain $455 in merchandise. She was arrested Saturday.
Both employees have been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Suburban Woman's Club of Wauwatosa awards scholarships to teachers
- Seniors now eligible for free Milwaukee County bus passes
- MMSD bringing Schoonmaker creek above ground near river in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 16
- Mara is new DBA director of public relations
- In Brief: April 16
- Choice school looks to occupy Wauwatosa building that housed Pius (6)
- Wauwatosa woman accused of falsely claiming ex-husband's death to receive benefits
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: April 16
- Wauwatosa dry cleaner seeks permission to use former City Market building