Two cashiers at Target in Wauwatosa have been arrested for theft by fraud for loading gift cards they did not pay for, and then using them to purchase merchandise.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 17-year-old boy piqued the security staff's attention when they started noticing numerous money shortages and large value purchases at his register. The unusual transactions started Dec. 10 and continued through Dec. 23, when he was arrested.
He was found to have put $1,900 on gift cards without paying for them. Of that, he spent $1,186. Items taken from the store, including digital media players, headphones and other electronic devices, were found in his pockets and locker.
Some of the items he bought with the gift cards were given to his coworker, a 24-year-old woman. When she asked him where he got the money for all the merchandise, he filled her in on his scam and she started serving as an accomplice.
Between Dec. 17 and 20, she loaded $1,026 on gift cards she did not pay for, and used them to obtain $455 in merchandise. She was arrested Saturday.
Both employees have been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?