Two cashiers at Target in Wauwatosa have been arrested for theft by fraud for loading gift cards they did not pay for, and then using them to purchase merchandise.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 17-year-old boy piqued the security staff's attention when they started noticing numerous money shortages and large value purchases at his register. The unusual transactions started Dec. 10 and continued through Dec. 23, when he was arrested.
He was found to have put $1,900 on gift cards without paying for them. Of that, he spent $1,186. Items taken from the store, including digital media players, headphones and other electronic devices, were found in his pockets and locker.
Some of the items he bought with the gift cards were given to his coworker, a 24-year-old woman. When she asked him where he got the money for all the merchandise, he filled her in on his scam and she started serving as an accomplice.
Between Dec. 17 and 20, she loaded $1,026 on gift cards she did not pay for, and used them to obtain $455 in merchandise. She was arrested Saturday.
Both employees have been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Not just a class, but an adventure
- Decision on Mayfair apartment proposal delayed by Wauwatosa plan panel
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa?
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service