A Minnesota woman was charged Wednesday with two counts of felony forgery for allegedly using fake checks to buy televisions at Best Buy stores in Wauwatosa and Greenfield.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
Amber Cooper, 26, is accused of using a fake check to buy two televisions at the Greenfield electronics store Dec. 12. Cooper was with two other Milwaukee women, ages 29 and 34, who were later arrested for being party to a crime. Store security personnel realized the problem after they had left the store and called other area Best Buy locations to warn them.
The same women walked into the Wauwatosa Best Buy store at 10:42 p.m. and again asked to purchase two televisions. They tried to pay with a check, but the account was flagged. Officers stopped the women as they were entering their vehicle in the parking lot.
Cooper had numerous Boston Store bags in the vehicle, and she also is accused of forging several other checks to buy more than $2,000 in items and gift cards from the Mayfair Mall department store.
Cooper allegedly found a Milwaukee woman's driver's license at Bayshore Mall and had a friend make up checks using that personal information.
She is scheduled for an arraignment hearing Jan. 4. She also has extraditable warrants with law enforcement agencies in Minnesota and Nebraska.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Our Schools: Dec. 25, 2014
- Ask Now: Why are North Avenue bike lanes wearing away so soon?
- Public Forum: Drop-off center restrictions add inconvenience
- Wauwatosa elementary schools 'rich' with world language study
- Carmelite Home for Boys in Wauwatosa makes lasting impressions on local boys' lives
- Wauwatosa City Administrator Archambo gives an update on city's strategic plan
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18