Wauwatosa will have at least one contested race in the spring election as two candidates are running for the 2nd District seat on the Common Council.
Margaret Michele Arney, a co-founder of the Wauwatosa Village Neighborhood Association, and Kathleen Causier, Wauwatosa Historical Society Board president, have filed campaign registration statements indicating their intention to run.
In addition, 1st District Alderman Peter Donegan will seek re-election.
One of the two seats from each of the city's eight aldermanic districts will be up for election. In addition, two other council seats that were filled by appointments due to mid-term resignations also will appear on the ballot.
So far, incumbents Jill Organ, 4th District, and Don Birschel and Cheryl Berdan, both representing the 7th District, have filed campaign paperwork. Newcomers Sandra Callaghan, 3rd District, and Bobby Pantuso, 5th District, also hope to be elected to city government.
An alderman gets paid $350 per month and is eligible to participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System.
Any resident interested in running for alderman can pick up a candidate packet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at the clerk's office at City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave. Forms also are available for download at elections.state.wi.us. A campaign registration statement must be filed before a candidate can circulate nomination papers, receive contributions or spend money on a campaign.
Nomination papers and a declaration of candidacy form are due to the city clerk's office by 5 p.m. Jan. 5.
If more than two candidates file papers for any seat, a primary will be held Feb. 16. The general election is April 6.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (2)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (2)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11