The number of families who will rely on the Salvation Army to provide gifts for their families this Christmas has nearly doubled from last year.
The Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, which has headquarters in Wauwatosa, registered a record number 15,344 children from 5,462 families for holiday assistance, according to a news release from the organization.
In 2008, the organization helped out 2,916 families.
Registered families will have the opportunity to visit the Salvation Army Toy Shop between Thursday and Monday. Most of those items will come from the annual Toys for Tots drive.
People who want to donate a toy or volunteer at the toy shop can call (414) 302-4300.
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall
- Our newspaper website is changing
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 28
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)