The number of families who will rely on the Salvation Army to provide gifts for their families this Christmas has nearly doubled from last year.
The Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, which has headquarters in Wauwatosa, registered a record number 15,344 children from 5,462 families for holiday assistance, according to a news release from the organization.
In 2008, the organization helped out 2,916 families.
Registered families will have the opportunity to visit the Salvation Army Toy Shop between Thursday and Monday. Most of those items will come from the annual Toys for Tots drive.
People who want to donate a toy or volunteer at the toy shop can call (414) 302-4300.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Dec. 7
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools