The number of families who will rely on the Salvation Army to provide gifts for their families this Christmas has nearly doubled from last year.
The Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, which has headquarters in Wauwatosa, registered a record number 15,344 children from 5,462 families for holiday assistance, according to a news release from the organization.
In 2008, the organization helped out 2,916 families.
Registered families will have the opportunity to visit the Salvation Army Toy Shop between Thursday and Monday. Most of those items will come from the annual Toys for Tots drive.
People who want to donate a toy or volunteer at the toy shop can call (414) 302-4300.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Bavaria, relatively new, harkens to the old world
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What can be done to make the Village more pedestrian-friendly?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 30
- Annual 'Tosa's Night Out' is Aug. 4 at Hart Park
- Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall: Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 30
- Mayfair holds back-to-school style event
- Tosa police: stealing vehicles to 'joy ride' is new trend among criminals (2)
- Medical College of Wisconsin construction begins Aug. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 23, 2015 issue