The number of families who will rely on the Salvation Army to provide gifts for their families this Christmas has nearly doubled from last year.
The Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, which has headquarters in Wauwatosa, registered a record number 15,344 children from 5,462 families for holiday assistance, according to a news release from the organization.
In 2008, the organization helped out 2,916 families.
Registered families will have the opportunity to visit the Salvation Army Toy Shop between Thursday and Monday. Most of those items will come from the annual Toys for Tots drive.
People who want to donate a toy or volunteer at the toy shop can call (414) 302-4300.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (7)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes