The number of families who will rely on the Salvation Army to provide gifts for their families this Christmas has nearly doubled from last year.
The Salvation Army of Greater Milwaukee, which has headquarters in Wauwatosa, registered a record number 15,344 children from 5,462 families for holiday assistance, according to a news release from the organization.
In 2008, the organization helped out 2,916 families.
Registered families will have the opportunity to visit the Salvation Army Toy Shop between Thursday and Monday. Most of those items will come from the annual Toys for Tots drive.
People who want to donate a toy or volunteer at the toy shop can call (414) 302-4300.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Casey loses vice presidency, Randall retains presidency on Wauwatosa School Board (1)
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 7
- Wauwatosa alderman proposes cutting four seats on Common Council
- Wauwatosa's Lady in Red reopens as Nikki's Boutique after remodel
- 'Tarzan' takes flight at Wauwatosa East
- Tosa Recreation Dept. to hold textile recycling event
- Exactly 175 years ago, Wauwatosa became a town (3)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 30
- Milwaukee teens charged for armed robbery in Mayfair bathroom