Wauwatosa — Two people who might have information about suspects involved in the shooting of a Wauwatosa police officer have been arrested and are in custody, Lt. Dominic Leone said Tuesday.
The two people are being held on unrelated charges, but were arrested as part of the investigation into Sunday night's shooting, Leone said.
He would not say which law enforcement agency arrested the pair.
The 28-year-old female officer who was wounded in the abdomen remains in stable condition and appears to be improving, Leone said. He refused to say whether she is now able to provide investigators with more details about the shooting.
The officer was wounded in what police described as an ambush outside of an apartment complex. She had gone there seeking suspects in an armed robbery that occurred about 10:30 p.m. at a nearby Chinese restaurant.
Leone said his department will not release the names of a 28-year-old Milwaukee man who was arrested near the shooting scene shortly after the incident, nor the officer's name, until at least one other suspect is taken into custody.
He said Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm advised that the department can legally withhold the names in order to protect the investigation.
"There's a person out there that was involved in trying to kill her," Leone said, referring to the 3-1/2-year officer.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police will host OWI Task Force deployment
- Tosa author publishes children's book based on real life encounters with mouse
- Wauwatosa officers return to work after weeks of administrative leave following shooting death (1)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: Sept. 3
- Common council OKs addition of right turn lane at Burleigh Street onto Mayfair Road
- Tosa's Safe Routes to School unveils new safety features in high foot traffic areas
- Ask Now: Is there going to be a park and ride lot on Watertown Plank Road?
- Annual '10 Days in Tosa' promises dining steals, good eats
- In Brief: Sept. 3
- Wauwatosa students get a taste of Germany through trip abroad