Wauwatosa — Two people who might have information about suspects involved in the shooting of a Wauwatosa police officer have been arrested and are in custody, Lt. Dominic Leone said Tuesday.
The two people are being held on unrelated charges, but were arrested as part of the investigation into Sunday night's shooting, Leone said.
He would not say which law enforcement agency arrested the pair.
The 28-year-old female officer who was wounded in the abdomen remains in stable condition and appears to be improving, Leone said. He refused to say whether she is now able to provide investigators with more details about the shooting.
The officer was wounded in what police described as an ambush outside of an apartment complex. She had gone there seeking suspects in an armed robbery that occurred about 10:30 p.m. at a nearby Chinese restaurant.
Leone said his department will not release the names of a 28-year-old Milwaukee man who was arrested near the shooting scene shortly after the incident, nor the officer's name, until at least one other suspect is taken into custody.
He said Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm advised that the department can legally withhold the names in order to protect the investigation.
"There's a person out there that was involved in trying to kill her," Leone said, referring to the 3-1/2-year officer.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (3)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?