An elderly Wauwatosa couple was scammed out of several thousand dollars by two men posing as meter readers Wednesday afternoon.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The husband was outside shoveling snow outside his home in the 2500 block of North 72nd Street. When he went inside at 2:30 p.m., he found his wife talking to two men, who said they had come by to read the meters.
The men told the couple that they needed to go upstairs and into the basement to turn on all the lights so they could better read the meters. A half hour later, when the men left, the couple remembered that workers for the electric company had come by to change over some meters a few weeks earlier.
They grew suspicious and called police. After a search of the home, the couple found money that had been paid as part of the husband's military pension had been stolen.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Learning Never Ends boasts new programs
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Police Report: April 16
- New electrical substation approved for Wauwatosa medical district
- McBride retains Common Council presidency
- Arté Wine and Painting Studio expands
- News & Notes: April 16
- Swiderski awarded Top Brillion Farm Equipment dealer award
- Battle of the Books challenges kids to stretch their limits
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?