When people are arrested for theft at Mayfair Mall, officers often hear suspects complain of being out of work or having an addiction to drugs as reasons for their crimes.
But a doctor who makes more than $150,000 per year and his wife had a different excuse: they did it for the thrill of the sport.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The Milwaukee couple had arrived at the mall on Saturday evening planning to shop for Christmas gifts. Instead, the 30-year-old wife suggested they take what they wanted. Because Macy's was so busy with shoppers, she didn't think they would be noticed.
They took turns serving as a lookout while the other took items - more than $1,500 worth - from just about every department in the store. They stuffed items in shopping bags from other stores, purses and the stroller that was carrying their two young children. The 39-year-old husband likened the experience to "a game" in which they saw what they could get away with.
After they were arrested, the husband told officers he was a doctor who earns more than $150,000 per year and had more than enough money to pay for the items.
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall
- Our newspaper website is changing
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 28
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)