When people are arrested for theft at Mayfair Mall, officers often hear suspects complain of being out of work or having an addiction to drugs as reasons for their crimes.
But a doctor who makes more than $150,000 per year and his wife had a different excuse: they did it for the thrill of the sport.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The Milwaukee couple had arrived at the mall on Saturday evening planning to shop for Christmas gifts. Instead, the 30-year-old wife suggested they take what they wanted. Because Macy's was so busy with shoppers, she didn't think they would be noticed.
They took turns serving as a lookout while the other took items - more than $1,500 worth - from just about every department in the store. They stuffed items in shopping bags from other stores, purses and the stroller that was carrying their two young children. The 39-year-old husband likened the experience to "a game" in which they saw what they could get away with.
After they were arrested, the husband told officers he was a doctor who earns more than $150,000 per year and had more than enough money to pay for the items.
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 15 - 21
- Wauwatosa School Notes: May 26
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: May 26
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle