When people are arrested for theft at Mayfair Mall, officers often hear suspects complain of being out of work or having an addiction to drugs as reasons for their crimes.
But a doctor who makes more than $150,000 per year and his wife had a different excuse: they did it for the thrill of the sport.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The Milwaukee couple had arrived at the mall on Saturday evening planning to shop for Christmas gifts. Instead, the 30-year-old wife suggested they take what they wanted. Because Macy's was so busy with shoppers, she didn't think they would be noticed.
They took turns serving as a lookout while the other took items - more than $1,500 worth - from just about every department in the store. They stuffed items in shopping bags from other stores, purses and the stroller that was carrying their two young children. The 39-year-old husband likened the experience to "a game" in which they saw what they could get away with.
After they were arrested, the husband told officers he was a doctor who earns more than $150,000 per year and had more than enough money to pay for the items.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Our Schools: May 20
- Ask NOW: Is Currie Dog Park expanding?
- Business Notes: May 16
- Rios appointed to take open Tosa School Board seat
- Wauwatosa preservation panel approves plan for Eschweiler buildings
- Village of Wauwatosa starts work on new signage system
- ANEW offers seniors in need of care options
- Developer drops controversial Village project in Wauwatosa
- Baseball diamond project gets Wauwatosa panel's approval
- News & Notes: May 16