An effort to get a voter ID referendum on the ballot in the next city election is picking up steam as a petition drive is set for 4:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Leff's Lucky Town, 7208 W. State St.
Wauwatosa residents who want to vote on whether the state should require any voter to show a photo ID can stop by the bar in the Village and add their signature to the list. Because voter ID is a state issue, a referendum on Wauwatosa's ballot would not be binding. It would be an advisory measure, but supporters say its passage would send a strong message to state lawmakers.
The drive is being led by Alderwoman Jacqueline Jay, who said she has received about 100 signatures so far and had heard from numerous others who want to add their name to the list of supporters. Setting up a spot at the bar where people can stop in and sign petitions makes the collection more convenient than going door to door, she said
Some of those people who have contacted her also have also become involved in the petition drive, she said. Organizers need to collect more than 3,600 signatures by the end of the month to get the measure on the April ballot.
"After the drive at Leff's, we'll have a better idea of how much more work we need to do," she said.
In July, Jay brought up the idea of holding an advisory referendum on whether voters should show their IDs at the polls, and the city attorney drafted a question to pose to voters. But the council, on a tie vote broken by Mayor Jill Didier, decided not to take any action on the issue.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)