Developer Richard Conley is planning to purchase the building that formerly housed Drew's Variety & Craft.
Conley, owner of Brookfield-based Metropolitan Development, has an accepted offer to purchase the site, 7505 Harwood Ave. It offers 9,000 square feet of retail space with five one-bedroom apartments above.
Now he's checking out the structural integrity and utilities and trying to determine how he will use the building.
"I'm mapping out scenarios," he said. "We'd been looking into it and we're not quite sure what to do with it."
Retail, office and residential are all possibilities, all of which would require significant interior and exterior renovations, Conley said.
Much will hinge on whether Harwood Avenue was opened to two-way traffic, an issue Village Business Improvement District representatives have been discussing with city officials. He said it would increase vehicle traffic and reduce foot traffic to businesses on Harwood.
"I clearly wouldn't want to buy the building if this progresses," Conley said.
Conley is no stranger to Wauwatosa development. He owns several buildings, including Lefeber Point, where Noodles & Co. is located, within the Village.
He said frequent drives past to the Drew's building led him to pursue ownership.
"I know what it could be, I saw what its potential is," he said.
The building has been vacant since January 2008.
He did not have an expected date to finalize the sale.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Monarch-friendly plants for sale in Wauwatosa Sunday
- Wauwatosa reaches deal on Locust Street drop-off lot for students
- Consultant begins process to redesign Wauwatosa Village streetscape (2)
- Wauwatosa farmers market opening for sixth season Saturday
- Milwaukee man charged for causing fatal rollover crash in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (6)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?