Two people who sold cell phones through Craigslist found they had been paid for with counterfeit money last week.
According to Wauwatosa police reports:
The first seller met two men in the Burger King parking lot, 3880 N. 124th St., at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. She sold a phone for $125, but she immediately thought the $100 bill she was given was counterfeit.
A little more than an hour later, a second seller met two men at Buffalo Wild Wings on Mayfair Road. They paid $260, but again the seller thought the $100 bills looked strange. However, they drove off before he could question the men further.
Trips to their banks validated the sellers' suspicions. It looked as though the buyers had printed their own money, which bank tellers confiscated.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Thai-namite plans new location in Wauwatosa's former City Market building
- Business Notes: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the apartments under construction on North Avenue so close to the street?
- Wauwatosa police say woman was dragged across parking lot in purse robbery (2)
- Thirsty Duck brings duckpin bowling to Wauwatosa (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 2
- Gov. Scott Walker attends Wauwatosa bike race weeks before expected presidential run announcement (5)
- Kate Spade New York store to open at Mayfair Mall
- Wauwatosa Meetings: July 2
- Wauwatosa News IQ: June 25