Two people who sold cell phones through Craigslist found they had been paid for with counterfeit money last week.
According to Wauwatosa police reports:
The first seller met two men in the Burger King parking lot, 3880 N. 124th St., at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. She sold a phone for $125, but she immediately thought the $100 bill she was given was counterfeit.
A little more than an hour later, a second seller met two men at Buffalo Wild Wings on Mayfair Road. They paid $260, but again the seller thought the $100 bills looked strange. However, they drove off before he could question the men further.
Trips to their banks validated the sellers' suspicions. It looked as though the buyers had printed their own money, which bank tellers confiscated.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa celebrating Bike to School Day Wednesday
- Tosa school board member loses vice presidency amid conflict of interest concerns (6)
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 7
- Wauwatosa alderman proposes cutting four seats on Common Council (1)
- Wauwatosa's Lady in Red reopens as Nikki's Boutique after remodel
- 'Tarzan' takes flight at Wauwatosa East
- Tosa Recreation Dept. to hold textile recycling event
- Exactly 175 years ago, Wauwatosa became a town (3)
- Wauwatosa News IQ: April 30