Two people who sold cell phones through Craigslist found they had been paid for with counterfeit money last week.
According to Wauwatosa police reports:
The first seller met two men in the Burger King parking lot, 3880 N. 124th St., at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. She sold a phone for $125, but she immediately thought the $100 bill she was given was counterfeit.
A little more than an hour later, a second seller met two men at Buffalo Wild Wings on Mayfair Road. They paid $260, but again the seller thought the $100 bills looked strange. However, they drove off before he could question the men further.
Trips to their banks validated the sellers' suspicions. It looked as though the buyers had printed their own money, which bank tellers confiscated.
- Store owners, police weigh in on string of protests at Mayfair mall
- Our newspaper website is changing
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 28
- Social media story on the storms rolling through Milwaukee area
- Swipe cards are firm's expertise
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: July 21
- Wauwatosa residents reminded to use caution in construction zones (1)
- Wauwatosa mayor shuts down rumors of picketers affecting Village work
- Go Pro Video: Wauwatosa Full Moon Bike Rides promise moon gazing, cold drinks, camaraderie
- Inaugural 'Q and Brew' event raises money for Center Street Park (1)