The 83-year-old woman who made a sarcastic comment about having a bomb in her package at the Mayfair Road post office will not face federal charges, according to Wauwatosa police.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
She was arrested for disorderly conduct; however, postal officials have decided not to pursue federal charges and say she can continue using the Wauwatosa branch to mail packages.
The woman was mailing eyeglasses back to the manufacturer when the clerk asked her whether the items were perishable or hazardous, which is standard procedure for when handling any package.
The customer became angry because of "all the silly questions she was being asked," so she made a "flippant comment" about having a bomb in the box.
The clerk refused to take the package and an argument ensued. He told her to take her package and leave, and he called 911. An off-duty police officer took them both to the front of the building to settle the discussion.
Soon Wauwatosa police, Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies and the bomb squad were on the scene. The package was quickly determined not to contain anything explosive.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New Mayfair parking structure to open tonight
- The Malt Shoppe opens Friday in Wauwatosa
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal (1)
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands