The 83-year-old woman who made a sarcastic comment about having a bomb in her package at the Mayfair Road post office will not face federal charges, according to Wauwatosa police.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
She was arrested for disorderly conduct; however, postal officials have decided not to pursue federal charges and say she can continue using the Wauwatosa branch to mail packages.
The woman was mailing eyeglasses back to the manufacturer when the clerk asked her whether the items were perishable or hazardous, which is standard procedure for when handling any package.
The customer became angry because of "all the silly questions she was being asked," so she made a "flippant comment" about having a bomb in the box.
The clerk refused to take the package and an argument ensued. He told her to take her package and leave, and he called 911. An off-duty police officer took them both to the front of the building to settle the discussion.
Soon Wauwatosa police, Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies and the bomb squad were on the scene. The package was quickly determined not to contain anything explosive.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Commission surveying seniors
- Four similar thefts reported at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Police Report: Jan. 29
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills (1)