The 83-year-old woman who made a sarcastic comment about having a bomb in her package at the Mayfair Road post office will not face federal charges, according to Wauwatosa police.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
She was arrested for disorderly conduct; however, postal officials have decided not to pursue federal charges and say she can continue using the Wauwatosa branch to mail packages.
The woman was mailing eyeglasses back to the manufacturer when the clerk asked her whether the items were perishable or hazardous, which is standard procedure for when handling any package.
The customer became angry because of "all the silly questions she was being asked," so she made a "flippant comment" about having a bomb in the box.
The clerk refused to take the package and an argument ensued. He told her to take her package and leave, and he called 911. An off-duty police officer took them both to the front of the building to settle the discussion.
Soon Wauwatosa police, Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies and the bomb squad were on the scene. The package was quickly determined not to contain anything explosive.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Not just a class, but an adventure
- Decision on Mayfair apartment proposal delayed by Wauwatosa plan panel
- Ask NOW: Why all the yellow flags on Wisconsin Avenue in Wauwatosa?
- News & Notes: Dec. 11
- Plumber dragged as he tries to stop tool thieves outside Wauwatosa Home Depot
- Man arrested for exposing himself to woman in Wauwatosa
- Police Report: Dec. 11
- Wauwatosa schedules North Avenue repaving project for summer
- Wauwatosa presents new teacher pay plan
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service