The 83-year-old woman who made a sarcastic comment about having a bomb in her package at the Mayfair Road post office will not face federal charges, according to Wauwatosa police.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
She was arrested for disorderly conduct; however, postal officials have decided not to pursue federal charges and say she can continue using the Wauwatosa branch to mail packages.
The woman was mailing eyeglasses back to the manufacturer when the clerk asked her whether the items were perishable or hazardous, which is standard procedure for when handling any package.
The customer became angry because of "all the silly questions she was being asked," so she made a "flippant comment" about having a bomb in the box.
The clerk refused to take the package and an argument ensued. He told her to take her package and leave, and he called 911. An off-duty police officer took them both to the front of the building to settle the discussion.
Soon Wauwatosa police, Milwaukee County sheriff's deputies and the bomb squad were on the scene. The package was quickly determined not to contain anything explosive.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30
- In Brief: City seeks volunteers for focus group; seminar can help with advanced care planning
- Wauwatosa students reducing plastic pollution headed to global competition