Suburbs facing a proposed 36% increase in the price of water they buy from Milwaukee are hiring a consultant to evaluate the city's proposal.
A report from the firm, Short Elliot Hendrickson, isn't expected until next year, Jim Wojcehowicz, Wauwatosa's water utility superintendent, said Thursday.
The report is estimated to cost $47,510.
Milwaukee is proposing rate increases of 28.5% for city residents and other retail customers and 36% for the 10 suburban communities with their own water utilities that buy Lake Michigan water wholesale.
The 10 communities have made formal objections to the state Public Service Commission, which would need to approve the rate request.
The communities are Wauwatosa, West Allis, New Berlin, Mequon, Brown Deer, Greendale, Shorewood, Thiensville, Butler and Menomonee Falls.
The city acknowledges that it is proposing the rate increases partly to generate money to support its general fund, rather than to merely support the water utility. The city points out that its rate of return, or profit, would be only 5.4%, well under the state's benchmark of 7.5%.
The suburbs say it is unreasonable for suburban residents to pay higher water rates to support Milwaukee's general fund, since they would see no benefits from more money for general city operations.
To see the City of Milwaukee's water rate increase request and related documents, go to www.psc.wi.gov and enter case number 3720 WR 107.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28