A Wauwatosa mother accused of leaving her children alone at night while she went out to drink beer was charged with child neglect Monday.
Meghan Saenz, 27, faces three misdemeanor counts of neglect - one for each of her children, ages 5, 2 and 6 months. A recovering alcoholic, she put her kids to bed and took off to drink and walk around the city until the early hours of the morning, then she spent the night at a friend's house, police said.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
After a drug binge three weeks earlier, Saenz moved in with her mother at a residence in the 6800 block of Blanchard Street while she attended an outpatient drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. Her mother had gone out for the evening on Sunday, only to return at 1:30 a.m. to find the kids awake and crying in their beds.
The mother also found empty bottles of mouthwash, which she believed her daughter drank for the alcohol content.
She remains in jail until her Oct. 26 court date. The case was referred to the Bureau of Child Welfare, and the children remain in the custody of their grandmother.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- In Our Schools: March 13
- School Board opposes Senate legislation
- Ask NOW: Do Tosa students spend more days in school than required?
- Fattoni's on North Avenue shuts down
- Matt Stippich will bring leadership skills, passion to council post
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?