Two homes on North 108th Place will soon disappear and a parking lot will go up in their place.
The owner of Mo's Irish Pub won the fight to rezone two residential properties so he can raze the houses and put in 48 parking spots. The Wauwatosa Common Council on Tuesday night voted 9-6 in favor of Johnny Vassallo's request.
Aldermen on both sides of what has become a contentious issue said they were voting to protect the adjacent residential neighborhood.
Those who opposed the proposal said having the parking lot would infringe on neighbors' privacy and would be an eyesore.
But those who backed the idea said the parking area would get cars off the street, and would alleviate problems such as customers leaving trash or urinating on residents' lawns.
After large turnout of residents at a public hearing and Community Development Committee meeting, few people were in the audience when the council took a final vote on the issue.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club
- Wauwatosa School Board asks lawmakers to increase public education funding
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Feb. 26
- Wauwatosa health officials say they are prepared to contain measles if it arrives
- Wauwatosa committee recommends denial of Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure request
- News & Notes: Feb. 26