Two homes on North 108th Place will soon disappear and a parking lot will go up in their place.
The owner of Mo's Irish Pub won the fight to rezone two residential properties so he can raze the houses and put in 48 parking spots. The Wauwatosa Common Council on Tuesday night voted 9-6 in favor of Johnny Vassallo's request.
Aldermen on both sides of what has become a contentious issue said they were voting to protect the adjacent residential neighborhood.
Those who opposed the proposal said having the parking lot would infringe on neighbors' privacy and would be an eyesore.
But those who backed the idea said the parking area would get cars off the street, and would alleviate problems such as customers leaving trash or urinating on residents' lawns.
After large turnout of residents at a public hearing and Community Development Committee meeting, few people were in the audience when the council took a final vote on the issue.
- 360NOW: Wander Wawatosa's village
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes new female giraffe calf
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23