A student was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon after he converted two markers into knives and brought them to Whitman Middle School on Thursday.
The 13-year-old Milwaukee boy was overheard showing the makeshift knives to a fellow student about 9 a.m., according to a Wauwatosa Police Department report.
An administrator confronted the student, who denied the accusation, and confiscated one of the markers. When she took off the bottom of the marker, she found a knife blade. The other marker was found in the trash with a nail file attached.
The boy, who is in eighth grade, said he collects knives. So when he saw a video online showing how to make marker knives, he gave it a try. He carried the marker knives in his pants pocket.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program
- City's private/public agency dies quietly
- City Administrator Archambo gets 3-year deal that will take him to $150,000