A student was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon after he converted two markers into knives and brought them to Whitman Middle School on Thursday.
The 13-year-old Milwaukee boy was overheard showing the makeshift knives to a fellow student about 9 a.m., according to a Wauwatosa Police Department report.
An administrator confronted the student, who denied the accusation, and confiscated one of the markers. When she took off the bottom of the marker, she found a knife blade. The other marker was found in the trash with a nail file attached.
The boy, who is in eighth grade, said he collects knives. So when he saw a video online showing how to make marker knives, he gave it a try. He carried the marker knives in his pants pocket.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Taste of the Town: Eddie Martini's remains a classic stop
- Wauwatosa businesses recognized for employing people with disabilities
- Neighbors continue combating Wauwatosa Woman's Club parking proposal
- Wauwatosa's Center Street, lined with schools, could see sidewalks, bike lanes
- Wauwatosa negotiating financial aid for Underwood apartments
- Weekly Planner: Oct. 23
- Tosa East Players perform play-within-a-play in 'Curtains'
- What to expect as Wauwautosa YMCA changes hands
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why don't public and parochial schools have the same schedules?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Oct. 23