A 19-year-old Brookfield woman who calls herself "a junkie" passed out behind the wheel of her car and crashed into another vehicle, sending that driver to the hospital, police said.
She has been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office, which will seek charges of causing injury by intoxicated use of a vehicle when she appears in court Oct. 30.
According to a Wauwatosa police:
The driver and her friend, a 20-year-old Milwaukee woman, have been living in the car and were on their way to Mayfair Mall at 11:47 a.m. Sept. 19. The car started veering off the road in the 1700 block of Mayfair Road, so the passenger looked over to see the driver slumped against the door. She started screaming "wake up," as the car struck the curb.
Other cars tried to get out of the way, but one of them could not move fast enough and was hit by the woman's car. The 52-year-old driver of the car that was hit was taken to Froedtert Hospital for neck and back injuries.
The impact did not stop the striking vehicle, which continued to go until it stalled from damages from the crash. When the car stopped, the driver regained consciousness but did not remember what had happened, so she was taken to Froedtert Hospital.
When her friend went to collect the driver's purse, officers found 18 hypodermic needles and an unlabeled prescription bottle with white powder inside.
The woman said she was an Oxycontin addict and had last injected the narcotic pain medication two days earlier.
She was also cited for driving after her license had been suspended, speeding and driving without registration.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Foreign officials take inspiration from Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Wauwatosa council considers resolution opposing UW cuts
- Mount Mary students spruce up Wauwatosa businesses
- Wauwatosa approves athletic field renovation with increased costs
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 12-18
- Wisconsin Lutheran College gains Wauwatosa approval for parking structure, promises to sell houses
- Slinger man charged for posting nude Snapchat photo of Wauwatosa student (2)
- Wauwatosa entreprenuer crowdfunding ice cube dog treats (8)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: April 23
- Wauwatosa fire chief addresses threat of oil tanker derailment (1)