A 19-year-old Brookfield woman who calls herself "a junkie" passed out behind the wheel of her car and crashed into another vehicle, sending that driver to the hospital, police said.
She has been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office, which will seek charges of causing injury by intoxicated use of a vehicle when she appears in court Oct. 30.
According to a Wauwatosa police:
The driver and her friend, a 20-year-old Milwaukee woman, have been living in the car and were on their way to Mayfair Mall at 11:47 a.m. Sept. 19. The car started veering off the road in the 1700 block of Mayfair Road, so the passenger looked over to see the driver slumped against the door. She started screaming "wake up," as the car struck the curb.
Other cars tried to get out of the way, but one of them could not move fast enough and was hit by the woman's car. The 52-year-old driver of the car that was hit was taken to Froedtert Hospital for neck and back injuries.
The impact did not stop the striking vehicle, which continued to go until it stalled from damages from the crash. When the car stopped, the driver regained consciousness but did not remember what had happened, so she was taken to Froedtert Hospital.
When her friend went to collect the driver's purse, officers found 18 hypodermic needles and an unlabeled prescription bottle with white powder inside.
The woman said she was an Oxycontin addict and had last injected the narcotic pain medication two days earlier.
She was also cited for driving after her license had been suspended, speeding and driving without registration.
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of July 4