A thief got a surprise Thursday when he tried to break into a car and found a woman sleeping inside.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Milwaukee woman regularly sleeps in her car outside properties that are having estate sales, so she can be the first in line when the sale opens. She heard her car door opening and thought a police officer might be trying to find out what she was doing, but instead, she saw a man in a hooded sweatshirt. He ran, and she called police.
Officers spotted the 21-year-old Milwaukee man in the area and ran after him, crossing the Menomonee River just south of Capitol Drive, until he surrendered.
He had a backpack full of items - including a cell phone, wallet and CDs - that had been stolen from cars in the area.
He was arrested for theft and obstructing officers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Learning Never Ends boasts new programs
- Therapist suggests making massage priority
- Police Report: April 16
- New electrical substation approved for Wauwatosa medical district
- McBride retains Common Council presidency
- Arté Wine and Painting Studio expands
- News & Notes: April 16
- Swiderski awarded Top Brillion Farm Equipment dealer award
- Battle of the Books challenges kids to stretch their limits
- Ask NOW: When will the lanes on Burleigh Street near Highway 45 be less confusing?