A thief got a surprise Thursday when he tried to break into a car and found a woman sleeping inside.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Milwaukee woman regularly sleeps in her car outside properties that are having estate sales, so she can be the first in line when the sale opens. She heard her car door opening and thought a police officer might be trying to find out what she was doing, but instead, she saw a man in a hooded sweatshirt. He ran, and she called police.
Officers spotted the 21-year-old Milwaukee man in the area and ran after him, crossing the Menomonee River just south of Capitol Drive, until he surrendered.
He had a backpack full of items - including a cell phone, wallet and CDs - that had been stolen from cars in the area.
He was arrested for theft and obstructing officers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Late-falling leaves a headache for Wauwatosa
- Birschel says he will not run for re-election
- Police: Man slumped over in broken car arrested for OWI
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Scam perpetrators use identity of local company
- This Week in Tosa History: Dec. 5
- Property tax bills hit mailboxes next week
- Skate park fundraising reaches $240,000
- More than 1,000 go blue for Sebena
- New Swan Blvd. soon to open as Mayfair work ends north of I-94