A thief got a surprise Thursday when he tried to break into a car and found a woman sleeping inside.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Milwaukee woman regularly sleeps in her car outside properties that are having estate sales, so she can be the first in line when the sale opens. She heard her car door opening and thought a police officer might be trying to find out what she was doing, but instead, she saw a man in a hooded sweatshirt. He ran, and she called police.
Officers spotted the 21-year-old Milwaukee man in the area and ran after him, crossing the Menomonee River just south of Capitol Drive, until he surrendered.
He had a backpack full of items - including a cell phone, wallet and CDs - that had been stolen from cars in the area.
He was arrested for theft and obstructing officers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern