A thief got a surprise Thursday when he tried to break into a car and found a woman sleeping inside.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The Milwaukee woman regularly sleeps in her car outside properties that are having estate sales, so she can be the first in line when the sale opens. She heard her car door opening and thought a police officer might be trying to find out what she was doing, but instead, she saw a man in a hooded sweatshirt. He ran, and she called police.
Officers spotted the 21-year-old Milwaukee man in the area and ran after him, crossing the Menomonee River just south of Capitol Drive, until he surrendered.
He had a backpack full of items - including a cell phone, wallet and CDs - that had been stolen from cars in the area.
He was arrested for theft and obstructing officers.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Biz Buzz: Corner Bakery, T.J. Maxx, Pizza Man, Camp Bar Tosa, Hue Vietnamese Restaurant
- Business Notes: Oct. 23
- DEA says four Wauwatosa pharmacies used in prescription fraud ring
- T.J. Maxx opening Oct. 30 in Wauwatosa
- Business Spotlight: Designing, contracting go hand in hand for French Country Pine
- Things to Do: Oct. 23
- 500 free winter emergency kits given away at Mayfair tomorrow
- Camp Bar Tosa opens Saturday
- Ask Now: Why are there concrete slabs on North Avenue?
- Early Learners' Class gets 2- and early 3-year-olds ready for school