Target's shelves could be stocked with beer and wine when the Wauwatosa store re-opens in October.
The request for beer and liquor licenses goes along with a companywide effort by the retailer to sell alcohol in the grocery section at all its stores, Store Manager George De Graffenreid Jr. said.
The Legislation, Licensing and Communications Committee voted unanimously Tuesday in support of granting the licenses, but not before members asked if the store intended to sell hard liquor.
De Graffenreid said so far that has not been the company's plan at other stores, and the company currently wants the liquor license so it can sell wine. But if the license is granted, liquor sales would be allowed. The beer license would permit any fermented malt beverages.
The Wauwatosa Common Council has the final say on the request and is expected to take action Tuesday.
Right now, the manager has targeted a store opening date of Oct. 6. In January, Target shut the doors on its previous Wauwatosa store so it could build a new facility in its place at 3900 N. 124th St. Updates to the store will include a new Starbucks, Target Café, pharmacy and photo center.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Local developer sees opportunity for rebuild of Wauwatosa library, city hall
- Wauwatosa Common Council approves rezoning for Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure
- Big talk on drugs has macro and micro perspectives at Wauwatosa East
- Wauwatosa library first in state to offer Hoopla video and music streaming
- Ask Now: Why does Aldi have so many handicap parking spaces?
- Change in Hart Park Senior Center management worries some members
- Greenfield School Board might use sale proceeds to possibly improve middle school
- Video: Zoo gorillas bring 'Tarzan' rehearsal to life for Wauwatosa East students
- Wauwatosa Police Report: March 5
- Student in custody for bringing knives to Wauwatosa East High School