Police say an Illinois man led officers on a car chase, broke into a local office building and injured his leg in an attempt to flee from officers after he drove away from a Wauwatosa gas station without paying for fuel last week.
James Cooley, 30, of Freeport, Ill., has been charged with felony eluding officers and is being held in the Milwaukee County jail until his arraignment hearing Aug. 31. He also is accused of violating his parole.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
About 1:30 p.m. Aug. 17, Cooley filled up his vehicle with $31.30 in gas at BP, 11417 Watertown Plank Road. He went inside the convenience store to use the bathroom and pretended to use the automated-teller machine. Then he made a run for his car and drove off, failing to stop for red lights.
An officer pulled over the vehicle, got out of his car and started walking toward Cooley, who accelerated and fled the traffic stop. A nearly one-mile car chase ended in the Milwaukee County Research Park.
Cooley then kicked in a window on the Technology Innovation Center, 10437 Innovation Drive, and ran up to the roof, where he hid until he was arrested.
He was taken to Wisconsin Heart Hospital with deep cuts in his leg and ankle.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Meijer to open Wauwatosa store in August
- Wauwatosa committee denies funding request to accelerate Innovation Campus hotel
- Wauwatosa committee recommends e-cigarette restrictions
- Wauwatosa to offer 70 open enrollment seats; no openings through Chapter 220 or special education
- Wauwatosa creating Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to improve facilities
- Pilgrim Lutheran School celebrates more than its name change since accreditation
- Wauwatosa firefighters union battles run up city's legal bills
- News & Notes: Jan. 29, 2015
- Ask Now: Why are Roosevelt and McKinley elementary schools so similar?
- Two businesses in same building burglarized