The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has imposed weight restrictions on three ramps along the Zoo Interchange after recent inspections showed bridge deterioration, but state officials say the ramps remain safe to drive upon.
The state has been monitoring interchange structural conditions and decided to post weight limits while a more thorough assessment can be conducted, a process that will likely take several months, DOT Secretary Frank Busalacchi said in a news release.
"Our first priority is safety," Busalacchi said. "These ramps will continue to safely handle traffic in the busy interchange. By restricting heavy loads, we decrease wear and tear on the bridges and preserve the integrity of the structures until they can be rehabilitated or replaced."
The ramps have different weight limits, varying from 60,000 to 80,000 pounds. Starting today, vehicles exceeding the weight limits are banned from driving on the connector ramps on interstates 94, 894 and 45.
Detours for those vehicles will be marked.
- Wauwatosa's 22nd Secret Garden Tour scheduled for July 9
- Tosa police investigating armed robbery at North Shore Bank Wednesday
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Perspective Design specializes in being a generalist
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 19 - 25
- Wauwatosa In Brief: Get set for Dozer Day in the Village, July 9
- Wauwatosa Meetings: June 30
- Wauwatosa Village businesses remain upbeat amid ongoing reconstruction
- East Tosa Gran Prix draws racers from across the continent
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: June 30
- Mystery Photo Contest: June 30