The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has imposed weight restrictions on three ramps along the Zoo Interchange after recent inspections showed bridge deterioration, but state officials say the ramps remain safe to drive upon.
The state has been monitoring interchange structural conditions and decided to post weight limits while a more thorough assessment can be conducted, a process that will likely take several months, DOT Secretary Frank Busalacchi said in a news release.
"Our first priority is safety," Busalacchi said. "These ramps will continue to safely handle traffic in the busy interchange. By restricting heavy loads, we decrease wear and tear on the bridges and preserve the integrity of the structures until they can be rehabilitated or replaced."
The ramps have different weight limits, varying from 60,000 to 80,000 pounds. Starting today, vehicles exceeding the weight limits are banned from driving on the connector ramps on interstates 94, 894 and 45.
Detours for those vehicles will be marked.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa school board hears proposals for new course offerings
- Almost 200 people gather for lecture on Islam on Nov. 19 in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa East mourns death of classmate Davion 'Sugar Bear' Crawford
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo celebrates first birthday of young gorilla
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Nov. 30
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 15 - 21 (1)
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Nov. 29
- Wauwatosa stores set Thanksgiving, Black Friday hours
- Tosa's city health department earns national accreditation