The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has imposed weight restrictions on three ramps along the Zoo Interchange after recent inspections showed bridge deterioration, but state officials say the ramps remain safe to drive upon.
The state has been monitoring interchange structural conditions and decided to post weight limits while a more thorough assessment can be conducted, a process that will likely take several months, DOT Secretary Frank Busalacchi said in a news release.
"Our first priority is safety," Busalacchi said. "These ramps will continue to safely handle traffic in the busy interchange. By restricting heavy loads, we decrease wear and tear on the bridges and preserve the integrity of the structures until they can be rehabilitated or replaced."
The ramps have different weight limits, varying from 60,000 to 80,000 pounds. Starting today, vehicles exceeding the weight limits are banned from driving on the connector ramps on interstates 94, 894 and 45.
Detours for those vehicles will be marked.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28