The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has imposed weight restrictions on three ramps along the Zoo Interchange after recent inspections showed bridge deterioration, but state officials say the ramps remain safe to drive upon.
The state has been monitoring interchange structural conditions and decided to post weight limits while a more thorough assessment can be conducted, a process that will likely take several months, DOT Secretary Frank Busalacchi said in a news release.
"Our first priority is safety," Busalacchi said. "These ramps will continue to safely handle traffic in the busy interchange. By restricting heavy loads, we decrease wear and tear on the bridges and preserve the integrity of the structures until they can be rehabilitated or replaced."
The ramps have different weight limits, varying from 60,000 to 80,000 pounds. Starting today, vehicles exceeding the weight limits are banned from driving on the connector ramps on interstates 94, 894 and 45.
Detours for those vehicles will be marked.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Vape Haven rejected by Common Council
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 18
- Wauwatosa West has 11 National Merit semifinalists; Tosa East shut out
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are the basins in the County Ground never filled with water?
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 18
- Public Forum: E-cig rejection based on bias
- Thai-namite plans fall through in East Tosa
- Chili'n on the Ave. is Saturday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Sept. 11
- Chinese students seek brighter futures in Wauwatosa