A resident of Wauwatosa's East Towne neighborhood has announced his candidacy for 5th District alderman more than seven months before the election.
Bobby Pantuso plans to run for a seat on the city's Common Council because he is concerned that "North Avenue is getting ignored."
"North Avenue is a thoroughfare through the city," he said. "It's the first and last impression people get of Wauwatosa."
He grew up on the city's east side and now serves as one of the Tosa East Towne Neighborhood Association's board members. He also is involved in the North Avenue Alliance and serves on the boards of the Village Business Improvement District and city's Civic Celebration Commission.
This will be Pantuso's second run for alderman. He lost to Alderman Michael Walsh in 2008.
"I'm not upset that I lost to him; Mike Walsh is a good guy," Pantuso said, adding that he thinks getting an earlier start on his campaign may make the difference this time around.
Although he cannot officially file his petition for candidacy with the city clerk's office until Dec. 1, there is still work to be done beforehand, Pantuso said.
"These days running for election can be expensive, so this will give me more time to get volunteers and donations," he said.
Pantuso has started a Web site and is using social networking sites Facebook and Twitter to communicate with voters.
Each of Wauwatosa's aldermanic districts has two representatives. Incumbent Jerry Stepaniak is up for re-election in April.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28