A resident of Wauwatosa's East Towne neighborhood has announced his candidacy for 5th District alderman more than seven months before the election.
Bobby Pantuso plans to run for a seat on the city's Common Council because he is concerned that "North Avenue is getting ignored."
"North Avenue is a thoroughfare through the city," he said. "It's the first and last impression people get of Wauwatosa."
He grew up on the city's east side and now serves as one of the Tosa East Towne Neighborhood Association's board members. He also is involved in the North Avenue Alliance and serves on the boards of the Village Business Improvement District and city's Civic Celebration Commission.
This will be Pantuso's second run for alderman. He lost to Alderman Michael Walsh in 2008.
"I'm not upset that I lost to him; Mike Walsh is a good guy," Pantuso said, adding that he thinks getting an earlier start on his campaign may make the difference this time around.
Although he cannot officially file his petition for candidacy with the city clerk's office until Dec. 1, there is still work to be done beforehand, Pantuso said.
"These days running for election can be expensive, so this will give me more time to get volunteers and donations," he said.
Pantuso has started a Web site and is using social networking sites Facebook and Twitter to communicate with voters.
Each of Wauwatosa's aldermanic districts has two representatives. Incumbent Jerry Stepaniak is up for re-election in April.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Zoo Interchange ramp closing March 26-April 2
- Wauwatiki plans to bring Caribbean cuisine, cocktails to East Tosa
- Student writing contest entries due today
- Wauwatosa East students reeling from teacher's sudden resignation
- Wauwatosans lobby lawmakers for public education funding
- Wauwatosa police warn residents about buying fake iPhones
- Education Foundation of Wauwatosa donates $69,784 to district in 8 grants
- Washington Ranks among Healthier Counties in Wisconsin's Health Rankings
- Ask Now: Why is there only one westbound Watertown Plank Road lane leading to Highway 45 ramps?
- Cattywampus upcycling store in Wauwatosa makes vintage decor modern