An idea to build a business accelerator at the Burleigh Triangle has been shot down by the property owner, Wauwatosa Mayor Jill Didier told a small group of residents today at a town hall meeting.
"It's a dead issue on that particular piece of property," she said.
The Burleigh Triangle -70 acres bordered by Burleigh Street, U.S. Highway 45 and Currie Park - likely ranks as the area most in need of redevelopment within Wauwatosa.
In April, Community Development Director Nancy Welch brought forward a proposal to apply for a grant for such a project. The site would provide the resources, technology and operating space to nurture businesses that have graduated beyond a business incubator but aren't ready to go it alone.
City officials still hope to find another home for an accelerator within the city, so the fledgling businesses that leave the incubator on the County Grounds will stay in Wauwatosa.
Potential development projects are also in the works across the street at Burleigh and 112th and 113th streets, the Icon Development property left formerly occupied by car dealerships
Didier declined to provide details at this point, but she did say "we are being very creative with our ideas when it comes to that property."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new math requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drivers
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31