An employee of Hall Chevrolet decided to take a road trip out East, but he allegedly used one of the dealership’s vehicles without permission.
The car’s On Star system tracked the vehicle and the driver, 35-year-old John Sargent of Milwaukee, far from Wauwatosa on July 21. The car was traveling through New York, and the driver was eventually stopped the next day in Milton, Pa., where he was charged with receiving stolen property.
Sargent told the trooper he had gone to New York to visit his sister in the hospital, and that his employer did not know he had taken the vehicle, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
According to a Wauwatosa police report:
Another salesman had sold the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu and had gone out onto the lot, 11011 W. North Ave., to retrieve it July 14. But he found it was missing. A second set of keys that had been kept in a locked box was missing.
Dealership executives learned the identity of the driver when the trooper called the local police. Sargent had been hired in January, but left due to personal problems, then rejoined the dealership as a salesman in June. He hadn’t shown up for work in a week.
Company policy prohibits employees from driving company vehicles outside Wisconsin. Sargent had been using a license plate assigned to another salesman.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (1)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (1)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11