A Milwaukee man accused of stealing three times from a Wauwatosa grocery store was charged Monday with retail theft and bail-jumping.
Authorities say Marvin Smith, 45, had taken several hundred dollars in meat and liquor from Metcalf's Sentry Foods, 6700 W. State St., over the past two weeks.
According to a Wauwatosa police:
Store security staff called police Thursday when Smith was seen putting bottles of vodka into plastic bags so it looked like they had already been paid for and pushed them out in a cart.
During the investigation, store staff said security tapes showed Smith, with an unknown female accomplice, took a full cart of merchandise to an awaiting van July 14. The driver, a 36-year-old Milwaukee man, was also been arrested - but the Wauwatosa NOW is not naming him because he has not yet been charged - for parole violations and being party to a crime.
On Sunday at 2:30 p.m., Smith again entered the store taking hot and cold bags and putting bottles of vodka inside. He put toilet paper rolls on top to conceal the items in the cart and walked to the exit.
He told officers he was bipolar and off his medication.
A background check showed Smith was on probation for burglary and had three criminal convictions in the past five years. He is being held at the Criminal Justice Facility.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa common council asks lawmakers to support Innovation Campus in state budget
- Falls sees continued growth in development in 2014
- St. Camillus in Wauwatosa plans demolitions, new buildings up to 21 floors
- Educators grouip Sigma State, at Wauwatosa meeting, hears troubling insights into sex trafficking
- Wauwatosa schools' annual library funding higher than expected
- Simma's Bakery expanding in Wauwatosa with closing of PJ's Frame & Gallery
- Past Concordia dean, a Wauwatosa resident, turns King of Squares
- In Our Schools: May 7
- Deadline for Falls spring brush pickup is Sunday, May 10
- News and Notes: May 7