The regional chapter of the Red Cross is making a plea to businesses and organizations to hold blood drives this summer to make up for cancellations due to economic factors.
The Red Cross relies on blood drives for nearly 80 percent of its blood supply.
So far this summer, 33 companies have cancelled blood drives due to layoffs other factors during the recession. Another 52 organizations have reduced their donations goals, which has resulted in 1,725 fewer scheduled donations. This decrease just adds to the difficulty in collecting blood during the summer because of vacations and other activities.
While the supply has decreased, the need for blood remains constant, so the Red Cross is asking businesses and organizations to organize blood drives. All blood types needed, especially type O negative, B negative and A negative.
To organize a blood drive, call (800) 448-3543 or visit givebloodgivelife.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Sept. 3
- Hundreds of Tosa residents experienced short power outage Aug. 27
- Wauwatosa Village valet service tentatively halted on Sundays
- Ask Now: Can parts of Milwaukee get annexed back into Wauwatosa?
- Wauwatosa School District filled a 'typical' 60 jobs this summer (2)
- Monarch advocates celebrate 10th year of releasing butterflies at County Grounds in Wauwatosa
- Disability advocates concerned about lack of housing in Wauwatosa
- Gay Ex-Wauwatosa police officer says she endured years of harassment, gets $77k settlement
- Wauwatosa's Diva Day brings shopping deals and business boosts
- Wauwatosa things to do: August 27