The regional chapter of the Red Cross is making a plea to businesses and organizations to hold blood drives this summer to make up for cancellations due to economic factors.
The Red Cross relies on blood drives for nearly 80 percent of its blood supply.
So far this summer, 33 companies have cancelled blood drives due to layoffs other factors during the recession. Another 52 organizations have reduced their donations goals, which has resulted in 1,725 fewer scheduled donations. This decrease just adds to the difficulty in collecting blood during the summer because of vacations and other activities.
While the supply has decreased, the need for blood remains constant, so the Red Cross is asking businesses and organizations to organize blood drives. All blood types needed, especially type O negative, B negative and A negative.
To organize a blood drive, call (800) 448-3543 or visit givebloodgivelife.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: Week of Dec. 7
- Business Spotlight: Face time is the best time for photographer Stephanie Bartz
- Business Notes: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa unveils convenient, affordable water online water bill payment options
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa girl scouts help feed the hungry this Thanksgiving
- Ask Now: Why the fancy drain at Hart Park? (2)
- In Brief: Nov. 26
- Wauwatosa library announces campaign to give students study space
- In our schools