The regional chapter of the Red Cross is making a plea to businesses and organizations to hold blood drives this summer to make up for cancellations due to economic factors.
The Red Cross relies on blood drives for nearly 80 percent of its blood supply.
So far this summer, 33 companies have cancelled blood drives due to layoffs other factors during the recession. Another 52 organizations have reduced their donations goals, which has resulted in 1,725 fewer scheduled donations. This decrease just adds to the difficulty in collecting blood during the summer because of vacations and other activities.
While the supply has decreased, the need for blood remains constant, so the Red Cross is asking businesses and organizations to organize blood drives. All blood types needed, especially type O negative, B negative and A negative.
To organize a blood drive, call (800) 448-3543 or visit givebloodgivelife.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa police report 200 percent increase in vehicle thefts (2)
- Changes coming to Wauwatosa Village: The Flower Lady finds new home
- Bryant & Stratton College offers new nursing program at Tosa campus
- KFC in Wauwatosa robbed Wednesday morning, suspect still unknown (2)
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park (1)
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11