The regional chapter of the Red Cross is making a plea to businesses and organizations to hold blood drives this summer to make up for cancellations due to economic factors.
The Red Cross relies on blood drives for nearly 80 percent of its blood supply.
So far this summer, 33 companies have cancelled blood drives due to layoffs other factors during the recession. Another 52 organizations have reduced their donations goals, which has resulted in 1,725 fewer scheduled donations. This decrease just adds to the difficulty in collecting blood during the summer because of vacations and other activities.
While the supply has decreased, the need for blood remains constant, so the Red Cross is asking businesses and organizations to organize blood drives. All blood types needed, especially type O negative, B negative and A negative.
To organize a blood drive, call (800) 448-3543 or visit givebloodgivelife.org.
- Shoulder mount of beloved deer 'Bow Tie' to return to Milwaukee Co. Parks
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Mount Mary University students gear up for CREO fashion show in Tosa
- Art majors find their footing at Mount Mary
- Mystery Photo Contest: May 5
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 9
- Wauwatosa Village streetscape work slotted to begin May 9 (2)
- Wauwatosa In Brief: May 5
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 24-30