A self-storage facility may soon be coming to North 124th Street.
Edwin Reitan of Reitan Architects requested a conditional-use permit to operate in an existing industrial building and four outbuildings at 4480 N. 124th St.
The Plan Commission recommended approval with a vote of 6-1 Monday night. The Community Development Committee also voted in unanimous support Tuesday night.
Commissioner John Albert was the lone vote in opposition, voicing concern about security issues. The business would be staffed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but storage unit renters would have access to the facility using keyless entering from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Other commissioners said they see a need for a business of this type in the city and they believe the idea that storage facilities are targets for crime is a fallacy.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new science requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drive
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31