A self-storage facility may soon be coming to North 124th Street.
Edwin Reitan of Reitan Architects requested a conditional-use permit to operate in an existing industrial building and four outbuildings at 4480 N. 124th St.
The Plan Commission recommended approval with a vote of 6-1 Monday night. The Community Development Committee also voted in unanimous support Tuesday night.
Commissioner John Albert was the lone vote in opposition, voicing concern about security issues. The business would be staffed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but storage unit renters would have access to the facility using keyless entering from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Other commissioners said they see a need for a business of this type in the city and they believe the idea that storage facilities are targets for crime is a fallacy.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Daly's is helping to bring the fountain pen back
- Waukesha School District expanding partnership with Montessori private school
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: April 23
- U-Haul moving into former Harley-Davidson plant in Wauwatosa
- Teen apparel store Garage coming to Mayfair
- Wauwatosa Public Forum
- Suburban Woman's Club of Wauwatosa awards scholarships to teachers
- Seniors now eligible for free Milwaukee County bus passes
- MMSD bringing Schoonmaker creek above ground near river in Wauwatosa