A self-storage facility may soon be coming to North 124th Street.
Edwin Reitan of Reitan Architects requested a conditional-use permit to operate in an existing industrial building and four outbuildings at 4480 N. 124th St.
The Plan Commission recommended approval with a vote of 6-1 Monday night. The Community Development Committee also voted in unanimous support Tuesday night.
Commissioner John Albert was the lone vote in opposition, voicing concern about security issues. The business would be staffed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but storage unit renters would have access to the facility using keyless entering from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Other commissioners said they see a need for a business of this type in the city and they believe the idea that storage facilities are targets for crime is a fallacy.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday night.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Thousands of items on sale at Wauwatosa Public Library in late October
- Wauwatosa School District to host 'Autism Insights and Strategies'
- Public invited to name baby giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 8
- In Brief: Nordstrom fundraising; Village streetscaping
- Wauwatosa School Board outlines district development plan (1)
- Proposed Wauwatosa budget would result in lower taxes (1)
- Aurora Health Care plans $35 million improvements at Wauwatosa campus
- In speech at Wauwatosa West, urban farmer Will Allen stresses need for sustainable food systems
- Public invited to Wauwatosa Village streetscape workshop