The management of a Wauwatosa tobacco store wants to start selling beer and malt beverages, saying it is the only one of their Wisconsin shops that does not have that privilege.
Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., is moving to a larger storefront within the same building, space that would provide ample room to see alcoholic beverages, company executives told the Plan Commission Monday night.
The retailer made a similar request 10 years ago, but the city denied the conditional-use permit due to numerous concerns expressed by neighbors.
This time the Community Development Department has not received any calls on the topic, Director Nancy Welch said.
Company representatives said the Wauwatosa store remains the last of its 17 locations not to permit beer sales.
The Wauwatosa Police Department reported the store had passed all sting operations by checking customers' IDs and Alderman Don Birschel said he does not see underage people at the store or people loitering outside after making purchases.
The Community Development Committee will weigh in on the issue tonight.
- Name revealed of new female giraffe at Milwaukee Co. Zoo
- State Street road work may be the biggest headache this year in Wauwatosa (1)
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa law enforcement honors fallen officers during national bike tour (1)
- Wauwatosa alderman calls 1979 parking ordinance 'nitpicky,' looks for change (10)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: May 26
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 26
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Tosa school libraries gear up for fall introduction of 'makerspaces'
- Tosa West's We the People team reflects on nationals, yearly successes