The management of a Wauwatosa tobacco store wants to start selling beer and malt beverages, saying it is the only one of their Wisconsin shops that does not have that privilege.
Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., is moving to a larger storefront within the same building, space that would provide ample room to see alcoholic beverages, company executives told the Plan Commission Monday night.
The retailer made a similar request 10 years ago, but the city denied the conditional-use permit due to numerous concerns expressed by neighbors.
This time the Community Development Department has not received any calls on the topic, Director Nancy Welch said.
Company representatives said the Wauwatosa store remains the last of its 17 locations not to permit beer sales.
The Wauwatosa Police Department reported the store had passed all sting operations by checking customers' IDs and Alderman Don Birschel said he does not see underage people at the store or people loitering outside after making purchases.
The Community Development Committee will weigh in on the issue tonight.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Annual 'Tosa's Night Out' is Aug. 4 at Hart Park
- Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall: Container Store opens at Mayfair this fall
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: July 30
- Mayfair holds back-to-school style event
- Tosa police: stealing vehicles to 'joy ride' is new trend among criminals (1)
- Medical College of Wisconsin construction begins Aug. 3
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: July 23, 2015 issue
- Therapy program's art gallery opening is this weekend
- News & Notes: July 23, 2015 issue
- Meet new Wauwatosa Now reporter Rachel Minske during live broadcast Friday