The management of a Wauwatosa tobacco store wants to start selling beer and malt beverages, saying it is the only one of their Wisconsin shops that does not have that privilege.
Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., is moving to a larger storefront within the same building, space that would provide ample room to see alcoholic beverages, company executives told the Plan Commission Monday night.
The retailer made a similar request 10 years ago, but the city denied the conditional-use permit due to numerous concerns expressed by neighbors.
This time the Community Development Department has not received any calls on the topic, Director Nancy Welch said.
Company representatives said the Wauwatosa store remains the last of its 17 locations not to permit beer sales.
The Wauwatosa Police Department reported the store had passed all sting operations by checking customers' IDs and Alderman Don Birschel said he does not see underage people at the store or people loitering outside after making purchases.
The Community Development Committee will weigh in on the issue tonight.
- Video: Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa endorses bus rapid transit route, more approvals needed (2)
- Wauwatosa officer fatally shoots man at Madison Park
- Wauwatosa Public Library announces list of summer events
- Blood drives scheduled for Milwaukee County during month of July
- Two lanes on Wauwatosa's Harmonee Bridge to close Thursday
- Milwaukee Co. Zoo welcomes baby harbor seal, bonobo
- East Tosa Gran Prix returns to Wauwatosa June 26
- Hidden Tosa: Inside the Wauwatosa Police Department
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?