The management of a Wauwatosa tobacco store wants to start selling beer and malt beverages, saying it is the only one of their Wisconsin shops that does not have that privilege.
Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., is moving to a larger storefront within the same building, space that would provide ample room to see alcoholic beverages, company executives told the Plan Commission Monday night.
The retailer made a similar request 10 years ago, but the city denied the conditional-use permit due to numerous concerns expressed by neighbors.
This time the Community Development Department has not received any calls on the topic, Director Nancy Welch said.
Company representatives said the Wauwatosa store remains the last of its 17 locations not to permit beer sales.
The Wauwatosa Police Department reported the store had passed all sting operations by checking customers' IDs and Alderman Don Birschel said he does not see underage people at the store or people loitering outside after making purchases.
The Community Development Committee will weigh in on the issue tonight.
- Video Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Wauwatosa seeks volunteers for focus groups on city communication
- Area businesses collaborate to create the 'Cranky Sammie' in East Tosa
- District leaders question use of Wauwatosa schools as voting locations (9)
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 2
- Moms get free admission to the zoo
- Pathways High alternative school pushes ahead despite adverse response from Wauwatosa schools
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 17-23
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: April 28
- On the move: April 26, 2016