The management of a Wauwatosa tobacco store wants to start selling beer and malt beverages, saying it is the only one of their Wisconsin shops that does not have that privilege.
Tobacco Outlet Plus, 11712 W. North Ave., is moving to a larger storefront within the same building, space that would provide ample room to see alcoholic beverages, company executives told the Plan Commission Monday night.
The retailer made a similar request 10 years ago, but the city denied the conditional-use permit due to numerous concerns expressed by neighbors.
This time the Community Development Department has not received any calls on the topic, Director Nancy Welch said.
Company representatives said the Wauwatosa store remains the last of its 17 locations not to permit beer sales.
The Wauwatosa Police Department reported the store had passed all sting operations by checking customers' IDs and Alderman Don Birschel said he does not see underage people at the store or people loitering outside after making purchases.
The Community Development Committee will weigh in on the issue tonight.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- East Tosa BID rejected
- Rollover crash shuts down southbound Highway 45 in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Reports: Oct. 2
- Motorcyclist dies after collision on North Avenue in East Tosa
- Enter Halloween contest to win tickets to Legends & Lore
- Wauwatosa In Our Schools: Oct. 2
- Hue serving first dinner in Tosa tonight
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Oct. 2
- Business Spotlight: Salamander changed shape, until it took on women's clothing
- Wauwatosa Police Reports: Sept. 25