Brookfield police said a reported shooting at an out-of-business gas station on the city’s east side this morning appears to be a hoax.
Police responded to the gas station at 3075 N. 124th St. at 9:35 a.m. after a caller reported that a suspect had shot a worker and was holding a gun to the caller’s head. Officers entered the building but did not find anyone inside.
A press release from Brookfield Police Capt. Phil Horter said the incident remains under investigation but "appears to be a hoax."
The Butler Police Department, the Wauwatosa Police Department, and the Milwaukee and Waukesha County sheriff’s departments assisted the city on the call.
Traffic near 124th Street and Burleigh Road was shut down for approximately 45 minutes.
Wauwatosa police said a Waukesha County dispatcher alerted local police of a call from the gas station. The caller provided a suspect description and license plate number, which turned out to be invalid.
The gas station at the specified location had been boarded up for some time, so police had to wait for someone with a key to arrive so officers could gain access to the building.
Police also checked out other gas stations in the area, but found no problems.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting