Brookfield police said a reported shooting at an out-of-business gas station on the city’s east side this morning appears to be a hoax.
Police responded to the gas station at 3075 N. 124th St. at 9:35 a.m. after a caller reported that a suspect had shot a worker and was holding a gun to the caller’s head. Officers entered the building but did not find anyone inside.
A press release from Brookfield Police Capt. Phil Horter said the incident remains under investigation but "appears to be a hoax."
The Butler Police Department, the Wauwatosa Police Department, and the Milwaukee and Waukesha County sheriff’s departments assisted the city on the call.
Traffic near 124th Street and Burleigh Road was shut down for approximately 45 minutes.
Wauwatosa police said a Waukesha County dispatcher alerted local police of a call from the gas station. The caller provided a suspect description and license plate number, which turned out to be invalid.
The gas station at the specified location had been boarded up for some time, so police had to wait for someone with a key to arrive so officers could gain access to the building.
Police also checked out other gas stations in the area, but found no problems.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Oct. 8
- Nordstrom Mayfair announces gala, late-night party fundraising events
- Block Legal Services opens in Wauwatosa
- DA's office will not bring criminal charges against officers who shot and killed man with sword (1)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Mayfair mall, Susan G. Komen host series of breast cancer events
- Wauwatosa schools celebrate Walk to School Day on Oct. 7
- Wauwatosa Fire Department earns accreditation, and is now more data-driven than ever
- A tour of homes with a flavor of architecture and history
- Wauwatosa West High School homecoming is student-run this year