Waukesha — The third person in Waukesha County charged after a multi-county federal, state and local investigation into heroin overdoses made his first court appearance Thursday.
Bail was set at $50,000 Thursday for Jason M. Lund, 24, of Wauwatosa, who is being held in the Waukesha County Jail. He faces charges of party to the crime along with Candice J. Haid, 21, of Waukesha in the heroin overdose death of David Knuth, 25, of Pewaukee. Knuth overdosed July 3, 2008, and died two days later at Waukesha Memorial Hospital, according to a criminal complaint.
Haid pleaded no contest and was convicted earlier this month. Her sentencing is Sept. 14.
Lund also is charged in the heroin overdose death of Andrew M. Goetzke, 19, of the Village of Pewaukee, according to the criminal complaint. Goetzke died June 6, 2008.
Twenty-seven people from Milwaukee, Chicago and Waukesha County were arrested last year as the result of an investigation called Operation Lake Effect by federal, state and local authorities that began in early 2007.
Luke J. Bandkowski, 29, of Genesee is the third man charged in Waukesha County. He was convicted in May in the death Feb. 21, 2008, of Jeffrey Topczewski, 22, of Muskego and the death Dec. 30, 2007, of Joshua J. Carroll, 26, of the Town of Waukesha. His sentencing is Aug. 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Tosa students win Destination Imagination awards
- Celebrate Earth Day by sprucing up Tosa green spaces
- Wauwatosa United Methodist Church make PB&J sandwiches for meal program
- Business loan program use picks up with economy
- Fire Department hopes to start home safety visits
- Police Reports: April 22
- Longfellow Middle School's theater director retires on 'Disney's Little Mermaid, Jr.'
- Reading incentives help prevent 'summer slide' at Wauwatosa East
- Ask NOW: What can be done about pet owners that don't clean up 'droppings'?
- WPA seeking assistant program director