Waukesha — The third person in Waukesha County charged after a multi-county federal, state and local investigation into heroin overdoses made his first court appearance Thursday.
Bail was set at $50,000 Thursday for Jason M. Lund, 24, of Wauwatosa, who is being held in the Waukesha County Jail. He faces charges of party to the crime along with Candice J. Haid, 21, of Waukesha in the heroin overdose death of David Knuth, 25, of Pewaukee. Knuth overdosed July 3, 2008, and died two days later at Waukesha Memorial Hospital, according to a criminal complaint.
Haid pleaded no contest and was convicted earlier this month. Her sentencing is Sept. 14.
Lund also is charged in the heroin overdose death of Andrew M. Goetzke, 19, of the Village of Pewaukee, according to the criminal complaint. Goetzke died June 6, 2008.
Twenty-seven people from Milwaukee, Chicago and Waukesha County were arrested last year as the result of an investigation called Operation Lake Effect by federal, state and local authorities that began in early 2007.
Luke J. Bandkowski, 29, of Genesee is the third man charged in Waukesha County. He was convicted in May in the death Feb. 21, 2008, of Jeffrey Topczewski, 22, of Muskego and the death Dec. 30, 2007, of Joshua J. Carroll, 26, of the Town of Waukesha. His sentencing is Aug. 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa students hit same average ACT score as last year
- Wauwatosa health department addresses residents' 'excessive' drinking
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest; Aug. 21
- News and Notes: Aug. 21, 2014 issue
- Construction underway on Hart Park Pavilion
- Wauwatosa pastor defends political speech in federal court case
- Band Blast Off gives beginner musicians a boost
- Terminated Wauwatosa firefighters still fighting for disability benefits
- Ask Now: What's happening with three businesses on North Avenue?
- Wauwatosa columnist Peggy Dean, in her own words