Waukesha — The third person in Waukesha County charged after a multi-county federal, state and local investigation into heroin overdoses made his first court appearance Thursday.
Bail was set at $50,000 Thursday for Jason M. Lund, 24, of Wauwatosa, who is being held in the Waukesha County Jail. He faces charges of party to the crime along with Candice J. Haid, 21, of Waukesha in the heroin overdose death of David Knuth, 25, of Pewaukee. Knuth overdosed July 3, 2008, and died two days later at Waukesha Memorial Hospital, according to a criminal complaint.
Haid pleaded no contest and was convicted earlier this month. Her sentencing is Sept. 14.
Lund also is charged in the heroin overdose death of Andrew M. Goetzke, 19, of the Village of Pewaukee, according to the criminal complaint. Goetzke died June 6, 2008.
Twenty-seven people from Milwaukee, Chicago and Waukesha County were arrested last year as the result of an investigation called Operation Lake Effect by federal, state and local authorities that began in early 2007.
Luke J. Bandkowski, 29, of Genesee is the third man charged in Waukesha County. He was convicted in May in the death Feb. 21, 2008, of Jeffrey Topczewski, 22, of Muskego and the death Dec. 30, 2007, of Joshua J. Carroll, 26, of the Town of Waukesha. His sentencing is Aug. 10.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Fattoni's on North Avenue shuts down
- Matt Stippich will bring leadership skills, passion to council post
- Wellness fair promotes healthy lifestyle among Wilson Elementary students
- In Our Schools: March 6
- Police Report: March 6
- Change aims for user-friendly government
- Ask NOW: When will North Avenue traffic signals be improved?
- Common Council reconsiders smartphone stipend
- Audit exposes weaknesses in school district's special ed program