The chef and owner of Il Mito restaurant in Wauwatosa has pleaded guilty to filing false tax returns and structuring bank transactions, according to federal court documents.
Michael Feker, formerly known as Mohammad Daghighfekr, entered a guilty plea to the two counts last week. He is set to be sentenced by U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman in October.
Federal sentencing guidelines call for eight to 14 months in prison, according to the plea agreement. The prosecutor is recommending a sentence of four months in prison and four months of home confinement, it says. Feker agreed to pay $37,000 prior to sentencing. He may face other fines as part of the sentence.
The prosecutor and Feker's attorney did not immediately return calls for comment.
Feker has operated restaurants in Milwaukee for nearly a decade, including Il Mito when it was on W. Virginia St. and Los Mitos on N. Jefferson St.
He currently runs Il Mito Trattoria E Enoteca, 6913 W. North Ave., and the School of Culinary Magic next door.
According to the plea agreement, Feker underreported his income between 2001 and 2005, failing to pay taxes of between $12,500 and $30,000 during that time.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- New UWM chancellor is high on Wauwatosa's Innovation Campus
- Mary Linsmeier School closes in Wauwatosa after 50 years
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Dec. 18
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: Dec. 18
- Older adults mutually gain from tutoring Milwaukee Public School students
- Wauwatosa Public Library kicks off new writing program
- Wauwatosa's Kathy's House sees rising demand for hospital hospitality
- Wauwatosa's State Street Station project sent back to committee
- In Our Schools: Dec. 18, 2014
- Wauwatosa West football field considered for $1.5 million artificial turf upgrade