State Rep. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, announced this morning that she will run for the state's 5th District Senate seat.
Creating jobs and providing core services in an efficient way are her top priorities, she said.
"Wisconsin has lost 130,000 jobs in the last year," she said in a news release from the Friends of Leah Vukmir. "We need a senator who cares about getting people back to work instead of figuring out how to squeeze more tax revenue from our families and employers."
Vukmir, who was first elected to the state Assembly in 2002, made the announcement at Gilles Frozen Custard.
The 5th Senate District includes portions of the cities of Milwaukee, Wauwatosa, West Allis and Brookfield and the villages of West Milwaukee and Elm Grove.
Democrat Jim Sullivan is the current 5th District senator.
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 26
- Wauwatosa Senior Meals: May 30
- Wauwatosa Weekly Planner: May 26
- Video: Reporter takes us along the 2016 Run Tosa Run
- Tosa Top 5: Five things you need to know about in Wauwatosa this week
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee
- Tips for finding the perfect bicycle
- Five biking routes to try in Wauwatosa and beyond this summer
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 19
- Campus News: May 19