Wauwatosa West High School's band director will not be spread as thin next year as anticipated, a group of 25 parents and students learned Tuesday evening.
District officials have dropped plans to send Richard Smith to Madison Elementary School for a portion of the school day. However, he will spend 20 percent of his time teaching music lessons at Whitman Middle School.
The group had been vocal at recent School Board meetings about keeping Smith full time at West. They fear his time would be limited to plan for activities like parades and perform duties like selecting new music.
District officials said they are looking into additional staffing for the 2010-11 school year, which would provide more flexibility in scheduling and hopefully attract more students to sign up for band.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwaotsa district presents new teacher compensation structure
- Wauwatosa School Board honors 11 staff employees for exemplary service
- Wauwatosa's city clerk works to put poll workers in place for spring election
- Three more seek seats on Wauwatosa Common Council
- Wauwatosa revaluations likely to be done closer together
- Late-falling leaves a headache for Wauwatosa
- Birschel says he will not run for re-election
- Police: Man slumped over in broken car arrested for OWI
- Ask NOW: What is the purpose of Discovery Parkway?
- Scam perpetrators use identity of local company