Wauwatosa West High School's band director will not be spread as thin next year as anticipated, a group of 25 parents and students learned Tuesday evening.
District officials have dropped plans to send Richard Smith to Madison Elementary School for a portion of the school day. However, he will spend 20 percent of his time teaching music lessons at Whitman Middle School.
The group had been vocal at recent School Board meetings about keeping Smith full time at West. They fear his time would be limited to plan for activities like parades and perform duties like selecting new music.
District officials said they are looking into additional staffing for the 2010-11 school year, which would provide more flexibility in scheduling and hopefully attract more students to sign up for band.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Construction worker dies in machinery accident at Zoo Interchange project
- Wauwatosa East teacher Barb Bruesewitz named ProStart Teacher of the Year
- Wauwatosa Virtual Academy meets diverse need of learners
- Pancake breakfast Sunday will raise money for scholarships
- Soup sampling fundraiser benefits Wauwatosa Woman's Club
- Wauwatosa School Board asks lawmakers to increase public education funding
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Feb. 26
- Wauwatosa health officials say they are prepared to contain measles if it arrives
- Wauwatosa committee recommends denial of Wisconsin Lutheran College parking structure request
- News & Notes: Feb. 26