The Education Foundation of Wauwatosa recently awarded 17 grants totaling $30,070 to teachers in the Wauwatosa School District for classroom programs for the 2009-10 school year.
The grants will allow teachers to purchase learning gadgets and enrichment supplies that the district's budget does not cover.
At the elementary level, some of the grants will go toward audio recorders to help students talk through the writing process, read-at-home program materials that include art activities to increase comprehension, physical education equipment to fight childhood obesity, drama materials that allow kindergarteners to play the role of scientists, microscopes for looking at specimens, and a program that incorporates cooking with science, health and math lessons.
At the middle-school level, materials to make at-risk students more independent learners and a drumming program to explore African and Latin-American culture are among the programs grants will help fund.
The high schools will be buying electronic simulation software to work on problem solving and improve learning retention in global studies, history and American public policy classes; appliances and supplies to teach special education students independent-living skills; and mobile data collection equipment to use for outdoor science labs at Wauwatosa East High School.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (8)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series