A Wauwatosa homeowner who allegedly has been evading police to keep from paying more than $28,000 in outstanding fines for building code violations was arrested last week.
For three years, Wauwatosa building inspectors tried to get Jerome Goodman to fix some minor violations at his property at 3229 N. Knoll Terrace. After many visits to the property and the increasing of fines, Goodman made the repairs. But he failed to show up in court to bring the case to conclusion, and he has not paid off the fines connected to the 41 violations.
Now he sits in jail, a stay that could last up to 560 days if he cannot pay off his fines.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
Police got a tip that Goodman had been living in his home - he also has a Pewaukee residence - so an officer responded to the residence Wednesday evening.
Although a light was on in one of the rooms, Goodman did not respond to repeated knocks on the front door. However, the officer spotted Goodman through a back door and the homeowner let him in. Goodman said he was aware of the warrants for his arrest, so the officer took him to Milwaukee County Criminal Justice Facility.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Longfellow hosting Wauwatosa's Memorial Day ceremony Monday
- Wauwatosa Police Report: May 10-16 (1)
- Choice school, dry cleaning issues held for more discussion in Wauwatosa
- Ask Now: Why are there so many traffic lights on Highway 100? (2)
- Wauwatosa to take extra step vetting St. Camillus proposal for tallest building in city
- Yellow Wood will bring high-quality outdoors gear to Whitefish Bay
- Medical College plans expansion with demolition of building on Mayfair Road
- Wauwatosa approves conceptual design for pocket park on North Avenue (9)
- Wauwatosa School Board approves raises for teachers, administrators and staff
- Tosa Tonight releases lineup for summer concert series