Cases of swine flu have been confirmed at several district schools, including Whitman Middle School, an official said.
Sally Roepe, district nurse, said infections have been confirmed at Whitman, but would not release the locations of other cases.
"We've had (confirmed cases at) more than one school," Roepe said, adding: "It's not being limited to just one location. It's in the community."
Lori Nielsen, nursing supervisor for the Wauwatosa Health Department, would likewise not confirm locations, citing concern about panicking residents.
Nielsen and Roepe said letters have been sent home to parents at schools where cases have been confirmed, informing them of the fact and advising preventive measures, like proper hand-washing techniques.
Roepe said the district will not close schools where infections have been confirmed, unless so many staff members or students are absent that it hampers the normal function of the schools.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Can Tosa Presbyterian put a "Do Not Enter" sign in the street?
- Public Forum: United to Serve would be a good neighbor at Pius site
- Public Forum: Tosa East's production of 'Tarzan' is a thriller
- Public Forum: New building on North looks like a 'big elephant'
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: At Hoppe Tree Service, listening may be the most important thing
- Wauwatosa Police Report: April 26-May 2
- Wauwatosa celebrating Bike to School Day Wednesday
- Tosa school board member loses vice presidency amid conflict of interest concerns (16)
- Battle begins against lake-killing stonewort in Little Muskego Lake
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: May 7