Cases of swine flu have been confirmed at several district schools, including Whitman Middle School, an official said.
Sally Roepe, district nurse, said infections have been confirmed at Whitman, but would not release the locations of other cases.
"We've had (confirmed cases at) more than one school," Roepe said, adding: "It's not being limited to just one location. It's in the community."
Lori Nielsen, nursing supervisor for the Wauwatosa Health Department, would likewise not confirm locations, citing concern about panicking residents.
Nielsen and Roepe said letters have been sent home to parents at schools where cases have been confirmed, informing them of the fact and advising preventive measures, like proper hand-washing techniques.
Roepe said the district will not close schools where infections have been confirmed, unless so many staff members or students are absent that it hampers the normal function of the schools.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Children's theater presents free performance of "The Frog Prince" tomorrow night
- Future Wauwatosa high school graduates face new math requirements
- Wauwatosa's Night Out celebrates 20th anniversary Aug. 5
- Wauwatosa responds to concerns about radiation from water meters
- State Fair highlights Wauwatosa businesses, crafts
- Ask Now: Do police officers still give out baseball cards?
- Wauwatosa's Hawaiian specialty store crowdfunds commercial kitchen
- Wisconsin's only texting-while-driving simulator, demonstrated in Wauwatosa, sobers distracted drivers
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 31
- Biz Buzz: July 31