A 22-year-old Waukesha man has been arrested for driving a getaway vehicle after a strong-armed robbery at a Wauwatosa bakery Tuesday.
Witnesses told police they saw his partner in the crime, who has not yet been arrested, run from La Tarte, 6742 W. Wells St., and jump into a waiting vehicle. They were able to provide police with the license plate number and a description of the driver.
According to Wauwatosa Police Department reports:
A man entered the store, ordered a croissant and handed a $5 bill to the owner. As she opened the cash register to get his change, the customer reached over the counter and into the cash drawer.
The man pushed the register toward the owner and she fell on the floor, followed by the cash drawer. The man came around the counter, stepped over the business owner and took money.
Police tracked the vehicle to the Waukesha man, who said he could not have been involved because he loaned the vehicle to drug dealers in exchange for crack cocaine.
A check of his record showed he was on probation for armed robbery and had been kicked out of a halfway house.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Leff's Lucky Town in Wauwatosa considers kitchen expansion (1)
- Walker plans to file for president today
- Driver ejected from car after hitting tree in Wauwatosa (3)
- Wauwatosa Mystery Photo Contest: July 2
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the status of the closed Tosa Gas at 84th and North?
- Monarch habitat on the mend in Wauwatosa
- Wauwatosa Police Report: June 21-27 (1)
- Wauwatosa native reflects on time in Afghanistan, Sudan
- Residents who live and work in Wauwatosa will be set back during the bus strike
- Wauwatosa detective home from hospital after shooting