The Wauwatosa School District will use 270 additional Open Enrollment students to help patch an anticipated $1.6 million budget shortfall next year.
Officials called an emergency School Board meeting for Wednesday night to address the potential budget gap, an expected product of looming reductions in state aid.
Each additional Open Enrollment student represents an estimated $6,300 revenue boost, for a total of $1.7 million in extra income. Funds from the seats are intended to preempt other cost-cutting alternatives, like program or staff reductions.
The extra students will be added at all educational levels for the 2009-10 school year, effectively increasing class sizes across all district elementary, middle and high schools. Previously, the district has only accepted Open Enrollment students at the elementary level.
Currently, about 1,000 students are on the district’s Open Enrollment waiting list. Student services staff will begin notifying the students tomorrow, officials said.
School Board members approved the move with a 6-1 vote.
Board Member Phil Kroner stood in lone opposition, asking for more time to study all possible options and their future impact on district finances.
Kroner and three members of the public criticized district administrators for the meeting’s short notice.
Administrators scheduled the meeting Tuesday, and provided board members with the proposal’s details about five hours before the 6 p.m. meeting.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa committee approves choice school with late day care hours (1)
- Former manager of Reserve apartments in Wauwatosa accused of embezzling rent money
- Wauwatosa News IQ: May 28
- In Our Schools: May 28
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why is parking limited for residents near the zoo?
- Milwaukee man faces charges for sex with Wauwatosa teen, possession of child pornography
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: May 28
- Wauwatosa Business Spotlight: Cafe Blue takes pleasure in providing simple pleasures
- Business Notes: May 28
- Tosa letters to the editor: May 28