After two failed attempts, Aldi may soon find one of its discount grocery stores making its way into Wauwatosa.
The city's Community Development Committee Tuesday night recommended granting a conditional permit to Continental Properties to build a 16,000-square-foot Aldi at Burleigh Square near 124th and Burleigh streets.
The city's Plan Commission backed the development earlier this month.
The Common Council must approve the permit, which it is expected to do Tuesday, before the project can go any further.
The proposed project had met little objection, which was a surprise to some staff who heard opposition to previous Aldi plans in Wauwatosa and neighboring communities like the town of Brookfield.
In the past, residents and city officials voiced concern that the priced would attract low-income people to Wauwatosa and instead, the city should look to bring in upscale grocery stores like Trader Joe's.
Continental pulled out of its application to open an Aldi at Burleigh Square in 2006 due to opposition. JNK Properties planned to fill the former Jewel-Osco with an Aldi at 124th Street and Capitol Drive in 2008, but that deal fell through.
But this time around, no opposition surfaced.
In fact, one resident, Susan Salamone, wrote a letter in support of the project, saying in this economy a lower-price alternative would help her family make ends meet.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa businesses step up to fund baseball fields at Center Street Park
- Mystery Photo Contest: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Police Report Jan. 31 - Feb. 6
- In Brief: Feb. 11
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done about the smell coming from the Wauwatosa dump?
- Wauwatosa Things to Do: Feb. 11
- Business Notes: Feb. 11
- Fat Tuesday: How Wauwatosa celebrated
- Wauwatosa George Webb employee tricked into giving away $1,000
- Tosa officers return to work following police-involved shooting