After two failed attempts, Aldi may soon find one of its discount grocery stores making its way into Wauwatosa.
The city's Community Development Committee Tuesday night recommended granting a conditional permit to Continental Properties to build a 16,000-square-foot Aldi at Burleigh Square near 124th and Burleigh streets.
The city's Plan Commission backed the development earlier this month.
The Common Council must approve the permit, which it is expected to do Tuesday, before the project can go any further.
The proposed project had met little objection, which was a surprise to some staff who heard opposition to previous Aldi plans in Wauwatosa and neighboring communities like the town of Brookfield.
In the past, residents and city officials voiced concern that the priced would attract low-income people to Wauwatosa and instead, the city should look to bring in upscale grocery stores like Trader Joe's.
Continental pulled out of its application to open an Aldi at Burleigh Square in 2006 due to opposition. JNK Properties planned to fill the former Jewel-Osco with an Aldi at 124th Street and Capitol Drive in 2008, but that deal fell through.
But this time around, no opposition surfaced.
In fact, one resident, Susan Salamone, wrote a letter in support of the project, saying in this economy a lower-price alternative would help her family make ends meet.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Ask Now: What is being built at Hart Park?
- Bob Simi, new director at Milwaukee Regional Medical Center, sees opportunities for development
- How 205 immigrants became citizens at the State Fair Park last week
- Newly designed NICU at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin creates homelike environment
- Wauwatosa breaks out its holiday cheer
- Wauwatosa Police Report: Nov. 27
- Ethnic foods unite Eisenhower fifth-graders for pre-Thanksgiving feast
- Found in possession of stolen jewelry, Wauwatosa's Gold Emporium could lose license
- Ice skating to return to Center Street Park on Wauwatosa border after decades away
- U.S. Naval Academy midshipman educates young minds at Our Redeemer Lutheran School